Do I need a food supplement for Amano Shrimp?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

betowess

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought a few Amano Shrimp as my other lone ranger disappeared a few months back. I searched and searched (and couldn't find) for an old post on this forum... I believe it mentioned something about its important to feed them a calcium supplement in addition to their algae diet (hair etc.) Is the Hikari "Crab Cuisine" such a product and is this really necessary? Any one with experince, thanks for your advice. Bob

i think they eat algae so id go with the algae wafers.

aka if you have hard water i dont think the calcium supplement is neccisary. because its probaly already in your water.

and it probally got eaten.

i dont know whats in crab cuisine but im sure its meaty. you guys can correct me on this but once again i think their herbivores

K 101,
I believe the calcium supplement is for their exoskeleton. I know they eat algae. I am looking for advice from someone who knows about successfully keeping Amano shrimp. My planted tank's water is fairly soft. Thanks anyhow. Bob

Calcium carbonate and epsom salts is what I have heard to use to ensure healthy shrimp exoskeleton, added with water changes.

I have cherry shrimp reproducing like crazy so I am interested in keeping them going. They seem to do a great job on hair algae, very similar to the Amanos, though you need more of them to do the same work.

I fed my Amano and Cherry shrimp with the Hikari Crab pellet twice a week.

IMO the water hardness only effect on how frequant the shrimp need to mold. Shrimp still need to take calsium supplement from their food. As most fish food is lack of Ca, the Hikari's would definately help.

I notice most of my shrimp mold once every 3 weeks.
Btw water pH is 6.8 with 3 dkH.

HTH

I've never ran across Amano's locally to try.

However, I do have Cherries, Rudolfs, Ghost, Bamboo, Tiger, Indian prawns, as well as a couple I'm not sure of the identity. I've never dossed iodine, only epson salt, for the plants.

The only shrimp I feed from the list above is the Indian prawn, using shrimp pellets and uneaten food. Otherwise it gets a little aggressive and starts fishing for him /herself so to speak :oops: This however is a 4" prawn. Shrimp on the barby size.

Seeing how I have never kept Amanos I'm going to go out on a limb. They seam to be algae eaters/scavengers. IMO I would'nt supplement thier diet any. Just let them eat the algae and scavenge uneaten food.

Unless of course you have that stunning tank of yours running algae free, then you might want to supplement food :p . Otherwise, forget about 'em. They'll take care of themselves.

FYI.......When you go to do WC's or trim plants, make sure you don't toss a tiny shrimp out on accedent. It happens :roll:

I don't put any amano shrimp specific food at all in my tank. I just put in some flake and a half wafer in my tank and they just take what's left over.

Back
Top Bottom