Do I need a heater?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

The_Desacrator

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Do I need a heater? Because I had two and they both broke. the main must have broke like yesterday before 9pm and the backup broke about 2 minutes into the tank. Aqueon and Neptune are the brands. My tank is currently 83 or so and I havent had a heater in almost 24 hours.Still cycling

depends on the temp of the room. a heater is good to help keep the temps stable and in the winter you will most likely have to have one.

Probably not during the summer but get one as soon as you can as fall and winter approaches.

depends on the temp of the room. a heater is good to help keep the temps stable and in the winter you will most likely have to have one.

I agree... but its also good for consistency even in the summer. If your tank is naturally 78 degrees, you can set your heater to 77, so that if the room temp drops, the tank temp wont drop more than 1 degree. The heater on one of my tanks stays off during the day, but usually kicks on around 8-9pm when the sun starts going down. Its in front of a window. A couple degrees wont hurt, but consistency is key in almost every aspect of fishkeeping

Well now it dropped to 83, so I will get a new heater

Confused, you said the room temp is 83 and now you say it dropped to 83?

Either way, IMO 80 is the highest I go unless treating. Sometimes it goes to 81 sometimes to 78 but never out of that range. I think you'll be fine but id eventually get one to be safe

I don't have a fan for that right now.And I have no clue as to why its 83, because the house is 75. My heater shutoff because it was overheating

Either way, IMO 80 is the highest I go unless treating. Sometimes it goes to 81 sometimes to 78 but never out of that range. I think you'll be fine but id eventually get one to be safe
that really depends on what fish you are keeping though. there some fish that are fine 86 some even in the 90s.

I don't have a fan for that right now.And I have no clue as to why its 83, because the house is 75. My heater shutoff because it was overheating
just because the room cooled down doesnt mean the tank will cool down right away too. do you have heaters plugged in in the tank right now? what do you mean they are broken? this thread is confusing me lol

Keep an eye on the fish. Although a fan would be best (other than a chiller), if your fish display signs of stress (breathing rapidly, going to the surface to "breathe") you may want to put an ice cube in a plastic baggie, and put that in your tank. That will drop the temp. You'd have to monitor this though, to see how many ice cubes to add in order to bring it down. You also don't want the temp to swing around, so if you choose that method make sure you keep it consistent as possible.

the fish seem fine. i didnt notice any real abnormal gil movement on my cories. on my angelfish its kinda hard to tell. fdoesnt look abnormal, but i have never kept that kind of fish.

Back
Top Bottom