Do I need a hospital tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
THose are the bumps that I'm taking about. Been doing research for a few days now and i've haven't found any threads about the name of this disease and how to treat it.

I have not it on my fish yet but knock on wood. I have done some research myself and that lumps are indeed parasite worms. You have to order that medication on line if you can not find it in store. However, there should be other equivalents available.

I'll put him tomorrow morning in the QT so he can be in freshly new water. Im preparing my water for tomorrow to do my weekly water change.

Here are 4 different kinds of treatment. Just pick one of them. If you decide to treat it with medication just maintain same parameter as your DT. While the Hypo Salinity treatment doesn't need any additional chemical just maintain the salinity to 1.011 until its duration. If you do both at the same time the stress on the fish might just kill him.

Treatment

• Medications such as Malachite green, Copper Sulfate, or Methylene blue. Use caution and be sure to follow the manufacturers instructions.
  • Freshwater bath - place infected fish in the freshwater bath for a period of three minutes or until the fish shows signs of stress.
  • Low salinity (hypo salinity) treatment - lower the salinity in the quarantine tank to a specific gravity of 1.011 and maintain at this salinity for 21 days. Do not use this treatment with invertebrates or especially sensitive fish such as sharks and rays.
  • Nitrofurazone - an antibiotic that has some antiparasitic action, and can be helpful when used along with formalin dips.

id like to personally say that out of the 4 options, id recommend the hypo treatment... chemical treatment is hit or miss (just killed 2 of my fish, including my blue fish angel) and its almost impossible to tell if it actually kills off the problem. fw dips are equally dangerous, but in a different manner. You're talking about placing a saltwater fish in non-saltwater until the fish shows signs of stress. to me, stressing out a fish with ich is only speeding up the problem (not what we want). id just gradually drop the salinity down and hold it there for a few weeks. but be careful, the lower you drop the salinity, the lower your kH will drop, causing your ph to possibly swing.

Just updating.. My fish is in QT right now and I did my first dose of treatment last night. Water was blue afterwards and my tang now is still kinda scared to swim. He's in the corner right now where the pig PVC Elbow is.

Lower your Sal to 1.008 not 1.011 and put yur fish in for 4 weeks watch ph carefully as the lower salinity will cause swings.After you have finished treatment raise your salinity up gradually over a period of 4-5 days.... I have never lost a fish doing it this way..... Have not had ick for 2 years ....

Back
Top Bottom