Do I need plants?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cuvac

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey guys,

I have a goldfish tank with only substrate and that seems to be fine for the goldfish, but I also have another tank with some tetra's and guppies. That tank is a 10 gallon tank and I feel like even few plants take up too much space in the tank. Is it possible to have that tank without plants or will I have issues with nitrates over time? Can I get around that issue somehow?

Thx
Cuvac

Hey guys,

I have a goldfish tank with only substrate and that seems to be fine for the goldfish, but I also have another tank with some tetra's and guppies. That tank is a 10 gallon tank and I feel like even few plants take up too much space in the tank. Is it possible to have that tank without plants or will I have issues with nitrates over time? Can I get around that issue somehow?

Thx

Cuvac

It's possible to have a tank with or without whatever you do or don't want in it. You'll have problems with anything if you don't do enough WC's. Filtration is only one important aspect of the hobby. The others are husbandry and ethical fish keeping. Is the goldfish still in the 8g tank with the internal filter that many have recommended to upgrade to at least a 20 ? Goldies are incredible waste machines and I'll say again that 8g is WAY too small.

Sent from my iPhone that doesn't like me. Or you !!

Hey,

the goldfish are in the 8 gallon and they'll have to sit in there for another two months, but then they'll be in the 29 I have coming my way. They have an 80g/h filter atm though. I seem to really like the minimalistic and more spacious look of the goldfish tank and that's why I'm interested in doing the same with the 10 gallon. So by continuing the weekly water changes I shouldn't run into any issues?

Cuvac

For a minimalist approach this could work. I'd add a few Anubias or Java Ferns. It's overstocked, so less fish.
But thought you'd like the idea.
http://youtu.be/9zi-Wn5nKi8

I find dark substrate and background makes my fish color up more. But that's my experience.

Smoke Signals Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom