Do I need Prime when topping off tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gnarls Gnarlington

Aquarium Advice Activist
My tank seems to lose something close to 0.25" to 0.50" in three days. It looks like it takes about 2 gallons of water to replace.

Do I need to worry about adding Prime? A capful treats 50 gallons so if I do need to worry about it how the heck do I adjust it for so little water?

:thanks:

Yes, you do. Drop per gallon should work.

It is pretty tough to overdose that stuff unless you spill the bottle in the tank or something. It is perfectly safe up to 5 or 10 X the recommended dose.

I'm worried about adding too much Prime but then again I don't see a warning about that.

I don't think you need to worry about adding too much. The bottle itself says you can dose up to 5x the amount in an emergency (such as very high levels of ammonia, nitrite, etc) which would be far more than you would put in by replacing water. I use Prime too and when I top up ever week it's hard to tell what to put in, I know I put in less than a gallon, but I drop in several drops of Prime which is probably overdosing but still not a huge amount. The bigger risk would be to not add it, I think.

My tank seems to lose something close to 0.25" to 0.50" in three days. It looks like it takes about 2 gallons of water to replace.
Do I need to worry about adding Prime? A capful treats 50 gallons so if I do need to worry about it how the heck do I adjust it for so little water?

:thanks:

The bottle says when doint PWC or topping off treat for the whole tank volume.(y)

When you top off just add enough for the amount of water your going to use. I have a syringe I use to measure the amount I will use ex 4.5 ml for my 46 GL 70 % WC.

Back
Top Bottom