do i need to add plant fertilizer??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shaunbellz

Aquarium Advice Newbie
do i need to add plant fertilizer

hi was just woundering if i needed to add plant fertilizer to my tank as this is the 1st time dealing with live plants i have a 72 litre fish tank and have 5 fountain live plants but didnt know weather i needed to add fertilizer can any one help!!! many thanks shaun

Well I didn't add any in my second & third tanks, live plant is going well. When I set up my first tank, the lfs convinced me that the fertilizer 'bullets' would be necessary. This led to my tank taking upward of 8 weeks to water stabilize. I think the fertilizer bullets were a lot to do with the time it took for water condition to come round. Last two tanks, no fertilizer and cycled in 3 weeks. It must also be something to do with the plants, the varieties I have seem to grow in anything !

I moved this post to its own thread - the thread you posted in was almost 6 years old :). I also merged both together and placed in the planted tank forum. You will get far more responses this way.

Whether you need fertilizers depends on a few factors... what kind of light do you have on the tank? What kind of plants are you trying to grow? What kind of substrate are you using?

Last edited:
The plant referred to as fountain is often mondo grass, a non aquatic plant that will rot and foul your water. I would look up a pic of mondo grass and if that is what you have purchased, try to return it.

ah, thanks Siva. I had not heard that terminology before. If it is mondo grass (o. japonica) than no ferts will help ;)

Back
Top Bottom