Do LED's grow algae

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CleverBs

Aquarium Advice Addict
Id like to get a LED strip for my tank but dont want it to promote algae growth. or do LED's produce no useable light?

Id like to get a LED strip for my tank but dont want it to promote algae growth. or do LED's produce no useable light?

I think LED's would produce algae growth because I think some people use them on their reef tanks. Corals need usable lights.

It would depend on what kind of LEDs they are, how many there are, what color spectrum they have, and how long your use cycle is.

Look for a lighting spectrum number. Should be something like 10,000K or 6,000K. Also, find a PAR or LUX number and they should be listed at a certain depth.
Ex: PAR 130/LUX 12700 at 12 inches, PAR 64/LUX 5870 at 24 inches

Once you know the spectrum and the intensity at the depth you are using, you can take a good guess at what affect they will have on growth.

There is such a variety of LEDs right now... You have everything from specifically designed aquarium lights all the way down to units that are nothing more than rope lighting. That's why I was suggesting to get the actual lighting specifications to know what results you will obtain.

well im just looking for something that will give me the led effect but no algea growth in a 75gallon planted tank.

Many algae types will use the same wavelengths of light as plants to survive. Can't have one without the other.

Back
Top Bottom