Do Melafix and Pimafix work?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mizter67

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've heard mixed reviews on these 2 items. What are your thoughts?

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I personally never had any luck with either of them. I see them being pushed a lot for the smallest of things that good tank maintenance would cure. A water change and cleaning the gravel can do more for your fishes health than some of the medications sold.

Unless there is a real problem like parasites, bacteria, some fungal infections, which do need the right medications.

I've read that they can be permanently damaging to labyrinth fish like gouramis and bettas

I use when my fish need a "pick me up" like today. I noticed the my discus tails were a little ragged. I think they were fighting today.

It's good if you have minor abrasions, or injury. IMO, it's not for big diseases.

Pretty much agree it sounds. Pimafix I've lost more fish than cured but can work if fish is off colour. It is cheap and I keep it as the choice of meds over here is limited. I'm very careful using it now to make sure it is diluted in a water change before adding.

Melafix seems a funny one. It seems to help on wounds and very light infections. Never had any luck with it on full blown cases of bacterial infection but my neighbor swears by it. Don't hear of many problems with it. I've seen that it can be hit and miss depending on bacteria type. I also keep it as cheap and meds are limited.

As with API stress coat I do wonder if the water change is doing the most good. I have noticed some difference where they have helped to think they can be useful but limited.

I've read numerous places and from reliable sources that one of them is just a more dilute version of the other. That they are 100% the same ingredients just in different concentration.
I don't recall which is which as I've never used them so didn't pay attention

Thanks for all the comments. The bottles show different active ingredients. I definitely won't take a chance with my gouramis. I did find the price attractive bit I have lots of options here at the local store.

I have a little albino cory whose fins are in rough shape....I was thinking about using it in general as opposed to antibiotics but it doesn't seem so popular.

Could you post some photos? What are your water parameters like including PH? How often to you change your water?

Ph is around 7.7. I change my water religiously every 3 weeks at 25 -30%. I will get some pics of him if I can. He's a bit of a bullet since he cant really hover that well with his fin damage. I am trying some furan-2 at the moment. Do you have any knowledge about the melafix or pimafix and if it's effective for anything in general? I like to stock meds so I can treat asap should things go bad.

He's really lively..... But his finds have gotten worse over past month. Assumed he was being picked on by my pleco

Attachments

• 1393843478082.jpg
    1393843478082.jpg
    36.9 KB · Views: 114
Would you have specs for ammonia, nitrite and nitrate just to close off? I'd look at weekly water changes at least until he recovers (weekly pwc not uncommon on this forum) and netting or separating to give him a good chance.

Ammonia 0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate 30 ppm. I isolated him on Saturday but will keep the pwcs often.

Surface infections are often caused by poor water quality. Your water parameters considered passable but your nitrates are a little high. Increase your water changes to 50% every week with a good gravel vac. Your corie in the QT tank needs to have his water changed out 50% a day, preferably aged and heated water (water left overnight with an airstone and heater) to keep the PH the same as his tank water and gas off all the C02 in the water.

Since you started, continue with Furan2 for 7 days at least. Your corie is in pretty rough shape - his barbels have all but melted and his fins are ripped up. This is caused by a substrate that is full of organic matter and bacteria.

Ammonia 0 ppm, nitrite 0 ppm, nitrate 30 ppm. I isolated him on Saturday but will keep the pwcs often.

Thanks - looks cycled there :), out of interest is your substrate sand or gravel and has anything changed in the last month (think that was when it started)? No problems with other fish / cories?

Substrate is gravel. Had problem with tank and parasites but treated with parasite guard and track has recovered perfectly... except for 2 beloved. The Cory fin problem started well before. Other albino and 2 sterbai are perfeclty perfectly fine....he is the smallest of the 4. What is realistic good level of nitrate. I have all artificial plants.

I had some fungus after getting ich infected fish.. I used pimafix alone and everything is almost done.. I'm on my fifth day on full dosage :) I'm happy it worked because I saw this post not long after I started and I was worried I wasted my money, time and fishes time!

Back
Top Bottom