do people actually keep these things at home?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

doza

Aquarium Advice Newbie
i have been browsing around various aquarium websites and stumbled across this one:

http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/categ.cfm?siteid=21&pcatid=15

They have a whole list of sharks they sell as well as a great barricuda in the miscellaneous fish section.

My question is, do people actually have these in home aquariums? I mean, I do think it would be kind of cool to have a shark in a home tank, but is it right for the animal? What other fish could you possibly keep in a tank that is big enough to hold them?

On a lighter note, I also came across the following webcam. I have been watching this while I am at the office until I get my own set up. :D

http://dsc.discovery.com/cams/sharkvideo.html

Hi Doza,

Thank you so much for passing this information on to AA. The webcams are fascinating! (The tiger cameras are running later in the day than the other three areas, I notice.) I will look forward to your setup. What a great idea. Please advise when you are open for business!

I will defer to others for advise concerning your shark questions. My interests in SWF is strictly hosting a peaceful community.

Sue

Yes doza regretfully people do try to keep sharks and other large preditory fish in aquariums. Often times they try to do this in tanks vastly to small.

The minimum recommended tank size for even a small shark is several hundred gal and the tank should have maxium surface area so the tank should be shallow. Like 12-16" deep. Way to many times I have seen on other sites and other message boards people ask about how to care for a shark they just purchased and they have a tank that might be 55 or 75 gal in size.

Yep, What he said. I think we all would love to keep a shark ,but on the other hand we know how cruel it be and we will never do it.

To keep a shark. Get a indoor pool(inground... large one) and make it saltwater :) then ure all set. :twisted:

Jacob

Yep, lotsa people just HAVE to have a shark. So many times I've heard "I'll just give my Nurse Shark to the zoo when it get big". Like the Zoo wants a 'too common' Shark that's been mistreated for 2 years. :roll:

I actually have a pretty good setup for a couple Baded Cat Sharks. Do I have any? NO! What would I want some fish that lays still 24 hours a day? Boooorrrring! I'd rather watch paint dry.

Guy

Check out www.saltwaterfish.com
In the the discussion boards under aggressive there are some guys with some pretty sweet tanks with some sharks. there is a guy who built a tank in his basement it is huga and pushing 1000gl's. If you do it right you can keep pretty much anything as long as you have the right living arrangments....I wounder how big a tank I would need to keep a dolphine?
I guess that goes on the fantasy list.
Unfortunaly most dont have the correct living arrangments, one of the guys in the area around my just took all his fish out of his 100gl reef, and is replacing them with a horn shark :evil: :evil: :evil: , not only is his tank 3x too small but it has over 100lbs of live rock and will give the shark a minimal amount of swimming area. I talked for over an hour to try snap him out of it but he just told me his tank his money. Makes me said knowing that the shark will never be healthy and he will probably go through several sharks before he realizes that it isnt the shark but the owners fault

Back
Top Bottom