Do these numbers work

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sansouci01

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I did my weekly water change over the weekend. I usually just make sure the salinity and temperature is the same before doing the change but this week I decided to check the alk, mag, and calcium in both the mix water and the tank water. I'm not too worried about these numbers because I only have softies in my tank and figured the water change would be enough to keep the levels I need. Anyway...my tank water...calcium 375..Alk 7.9..and Mag 1200
My mix water...calcium 400...Alk 9.6 and Mag 1200. After the water change tank water is...calcium 380..Alk 8.1 and Mag..1200..Guess my question is,is the alk number too low before a water change. I have always read the it should be between 8 and 12. Should I use a buffer or are these numbers ok..

Your alk is ok while your cal is close to the borderline. Your mag is too low but as long as you don't dose any of the other 2, you should be ok. However, I would raise mag to about 1300 then add cal to maintain it to 400.

I wouldn't dose a single thing into your system. There have been enough issues here and there to want to add what dosing things can do to it. Just keep up with the water changes.

Agree with Hank, reefers get too caught up in hitting a perfect numbers. I only test every month or 2 and with regular water changes everything is close to what they should be. consistance numbers is the more important then hitting a perfect one. Unless they are way off.

I third the water changes, but as these corals grow they will consume a little more, so keep an eye on things.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom