Do u unplug your heater/filter before sticking arm in tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmac

Aquarium Advice Regular
I read that you should do this for safety reasons........Is that true?

edit: oops wrong forum, mods please move to general freshwater forum.
sorry.

The topic has been moved.

I do not unplug anything before putting my hands or arms in the tank. The only time that I do is when the water level gets too low.

I don't unplug mine either, not to stick my arm in the tank. When I do water changes I unplug the filter and heater because I know the water level will get low. That is so I don't burn them up...not because I'm afraid they'll shock me or anything.

in all reality you probably should for safety reasons, in case something is wrong with any electrical equipment.
But no I don't either.

Well, you'd think if there were an electrical problem that the fish would be affected and you'd notice this before you stuck your hand in the tank, no ? LOL

joannde said:
Well, you'd think if there were an electrical problem that the fish would be affected and you'd notice this before you stuck your hand in the tank, no ? LOL

but what happens if there is a short or a heater glass break while you are fishing your hand in there? then all of a sudden it aint that funny since you can possibly be electrocuted.

Woudl that scenario pretty much result in automatic and sudden death?

dmac said:

That would be the worst case scenario. Best would be a shock and a funny story to tell later on. Somewhere in the middle would be permanent debilitation.

dmac said:

depends on a bunch of factors i think. just thinking psuedo-scientifically,
-depends on how many volts are being pumped into the heater.
-if an open circuit is what you run into.
-what you are standing on.
-how deep your hand is.

if you are the cautious (and unlazy) type, its real easy to unplug 2-3 plugs. if you are the fly-by-your-seat (aka lazy) then just like AIDS, someone will always think it will NEVER happen to them.

Yep - all true - and now you've probably convinced me to turn off that strip switch whenever I'm going to stick my hand in the tank ! Another " + " for having everything plugged into a surge protector - one switch turn on / off.
Message received load and clear

i wonder how many aquarium related deaths happen per year? better chance of winning the lotto? or getting hit by lightning?

I've got a power strip with several unswitched outlets. When I am doing anything serious in the tank, I turn off the strip (heater, light, HOB), but the air pump stays on.

lovemybarbs said:
so like if there was an electrical current going through the water, wouldn't the fish be dead???

not if the current doesnt happen till you put your hand in the water.

I don't turn mine off just to put my arm in. Actually, you wouldn't be able to tell by observing the fish if there was a potential shock situation. I have dropped a flourescent fixture into a tank (twice) and it didn't hurt the fish any. In fact the, light stayed lit. Kind of blows the common misconception that water is a good conductor of electricity. It isn't.

BillD said:
Kind of blows the common misconception that water is a good conductor of electricity. It isn't.

what? water is one of the best conducters of electricty. just because a light fixture fell in and nothing happen does not prove anything but luck 8)

Back
Top Bottom