Does a Clams foot need to be attached to the sandbed or Live rock?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ArchimedesLever

Aquarium Advice Newbie
At my LFS there were quite a few clams without their foots attached to anything. They were on a rack and the foot was suspended in open water. I was wondering if this has any implications on a home setup. Is it essential to the health of the clam that its foot be secure on some kind of surface? Provided that all its other lighting, and Parameters are met. :confused:

ArchimedesLever said:
At my LFS there were quite a few clams without their foots attached to anything. They were on a rack and the foot was suspended in open water. I was wondering if this has any implications on a home setup. Is it essential to the health of the clam that its foot be secure on some kind of surface? Provided that all its other lighting, and Parameters are met. :confused:

My clam is on the live rock.

View attachment 88229

Seems to be fine. Bottom middle left side

Last edited:
They don't have to be attached to anything. Lots of clams are naturally on sand. Though the removal of their foot by pulling and prying is often fatal.

Does the clams foot extend any from the (byssal) I think its called? Or must the foot be in direct contact with the surface that you are attempting to place it? Sorry guys, its my first clam and I just really want to take care of him properly.

Hey guys, maybe you can help me out here. I would like to get a hang on back skimmer but I don't want one that's a huge eye sore! My tank looks super sexy, and I'm worried having a huge plastic tower sticking out of the tank is going to ruin the visuals.

Do you have any recommendations?

Hey guys, maybe you can help me out here. I would like to get a hang on back skimmer but I don't want one that's a huge eye sore! My tank looks super sexy, and I'm worried having a huge plastic tower sticking out of the tank is going to ruin the visuals.

Your best bet really is to get a sump to hide all your equipment. An in-sump skimmer is also a lot better at getting DOCs out of your water than a comparable hob skimmer.

I'd recommend making your own thread and not be a ninja.

Back on topic, I would just keep your new clam in the sand bed. Don't know what kind of lighting you have, but since you got a clam I would assume it is pretty strong stuff and can afford to put it in the sand bed. I feel that having them up on the rockwork is setting yourself up to fail incase that spot isn't good enough for the clam. Like stated above, prying the foot off is usually fatal.

It depends on the type of clam! T. derasa is a sand dwelling clam. Others, such as t. maxima do prefer to attach themselves to a hard surface. If you have a Maxima, and place it where it can latch on, keep it's eventual size in mind!
One final note, if a clam naturally wants to anchor, and is sitting in the sand, it is *possible*, though I make no claim as to the odds, for the foot to reach down to the bottom pane through a shallow sand bed, and attach to the glass.

Back
Top Bottom