Does aanybody knows this crab, can it be dangerous for anemones?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks to me like an emerald crab mate. I coil be wrong. They eat algae. If its starving can be known to pick at star polys and Xenia.i have heard. I would say its reef safe. :)

That's not an emerald crab but I don't have an ID. I would keep it in your fuge if you've got one til someone can properly ID for you.

As a general rule, there is no such thing as a truly reef safe crab. Even a herbivorous crab will go carnivore on you with no provocation. While I cannot identify that crab either, I can say this. It's a crab. it'll eat whatever it can get it's claws on.
Even the Emeralds can be a pain. I've had two. The first ate Zoas and started on my torch before I caught it, and the second ate green birdsnest. Neither were starving.

Agree on the emerald. Mine went rouge on me and ate my Xenia and killed half a head of my hammer coral. Took it out and the hammer is slowly coming back.

Darn crabs. And I love the classic crab look, too. But for every person out there who says "Never had a problem. Reef safe!" there's at least two more who had the crab eat a coral. *le sigh*

Porcelain crab... I suppose it is possible, but without seeing the feeders extended, I wouldn't make a claim.
Now, the porcelain crab is an interesting example of the Reef Safe, Reef Safe With Caution, Not Reef Safe classification system problem.
Animals that are not at all reef are are often listed as with caution, while some "with caution" are listed as reef safe, and vice versa.
I would classify the porcelain crab as Reef Safe With Caution, because at least 90% of the time, you won't have any problems with it. That being said... They are crabs. They have claws. They may filter feed, but if something tasty is within reach, they WILL grab it. Case in point: My old porcelain crab, may he rest in crabby peace, would actively hunt my nassarius snails at feeding time. Apparently he found it easier to cut off their tails than chase down fish food that was floating by.
If a crab will attack a snail, it'll probably do worse when you're not looking. I also caught him picking at the rock suspiciously close to the edge of a mushroom coral once or twice after lights out.
So, I call them Reef Safe With Caution. All that diatribe aside, would I recommend them for a reef? Absolutely! Filter feeding crab? Awesome by definition alone!

Thanks for all you comments, I have porcelain and emerald in the same tank, it's defiantly not one of them. It's black with characteristic red eyesand grows fast. My concern was when my boule anemone was ripped into peaces. I have noticed it in the morning than I wasn't sure if there was other reasons of it. Some time before it I had problem with Xenia. Wetter test were ok, and other polyps sims to be ok. Well it's gone to my LPS. Better be safe.

Attachments

• image-3069543507.jpg
    image-3069543507.jpg
    152 KB · Views: 102
Back
Top Bottom