Does anyone here have a six-line wrasse?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nxb161

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Does anyone here have a six-line wrasse? I was reading that they sleep in a mucus cocoon and didn't think much of it. This morning the six-line was a late riser (I wonder if the cocoon filters out the light at all), and now that its up there is a mucus looking thing hanging off the rock one of my zoas are on. It says that the cocoon doesn't affect water quality, just wanted to make sure that was true and curious when it will dissolve.

I have one. Mine sleeps in a crack in the rock so I can't actually see it but my water stays fine. I'm not sure what they do with it (maybe eat it?) or when it will go. You could always fish it out.

I've had my sixline for several months now. I got him to help me with some pesky flatworms, which by the way he’s doing a great job. I haven’t actually seen him eatin’em but they are definitely under control.
He parks himself into a rock crevasse and spends the night there. Early on I notice some mucus but not in some time…he must feel safer. He’s a great addition to my tank. :D

I've had wrasses that blew cocoons. First noticed in the QT tank where they slept inside of PVC pipes. There they were, looking at me from behind this mucus film. Every day, the mucos would float away, into the water column and get sucked up by the skimmer. Later, I'd see them in my main doing the same thing. The mucos won't hurt anything.

If you didn't know, the mucos bubble enables them to sleep in relative saftey in the wild. The bubble keeps predators from smelling them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom