Does my betta have fin rot...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GoldfishNewbie

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a betta named Pug and ive noticed his fins are very ... weird looking, sort of frayed at the bottom, Im wondering if he has fin rot or not, hes 4 years old so it might just be old age, but I want to be safe so... does it look anything like fin rot to you, or does he just look old (sorry, question mark button isnt working)
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/members/35832-albums1473-picture10048.jpg

You can change the water more often. Anything 5 gallons and under needs the water changed at least twice a week. If you changed the water every other day for a while, his fins might start to look better, but he is pretty old for a betta so it might not work or it might take longer.

You can change the water more often. Anything 5 gallons and under needs the water changed at least twice a week. If you changed the water every other day for a while, his fins might start to look better, but he is pretty old for a betta so it might not work or it might take longer.

I am confused on this because my three 5 gal betta tanks get a weekly 30% water change and nitrates never reach 20ppm...in this case why would at least twice a week be needed?

Forgive the question goldfishnewbie but you are using dechlorinator in the water, correct? Also do you have an API master test kit so you can test his water?

Because water needs to be fresh, not stale. Trust me, it works. Would you drink water that has been sitting on the counter for 5-7 days?

Well I wouldn't drink water sitting on the counter for 2 days but I'm not going to do water changes every other day..... I've just never heard that water with good parameters still needs changed more often or of stale water causing health probs. My bettas are always so healthy and beautiful I just don't think they need more water changes. I mean I'm crazy about my bettas..if that's what they need I'll do it...but I see no evidence of this. Maybe if the fish is ill it needs extra water changes....

he's in a 10 gallon filtered tank. I do use aqua plus with every water change which says it dechlorinates, but even so our family uses well water and we don't have any chemicals in it. I still use the aquaplus to be safe though. and I don't have an API master test kit yet :( I only started learning that test strips arent accurate so i've ordered one online and am just waiting for it to come in. sould I do 50% or 25% water changes daily until I can properly test the water?

Does he have any signs of velvet? I've never seen it but I know it causes clamped fins. Look for gold/copper specs on him.

I saw one gold spec before, but I'm pretty sure its just an odd coloured scale since it's big. how would I detect it if it was? I heard something about using a flashlight?

Gosh I don't know I've heard about the metallic sheen on their skin and scratching or rubbing themselves on things...

Is he eating? Try doing a partial water change every other day for a bit and see if that helps. That is a pretty old fish..it might just be time for him to start shutting down :(

Well he's had clamped fins for quite some time now (I didn't know I guess...), it was after he got swim bladder disorder that he ended up like this. he was originally a gorgeous red betta with blue fins, it was so pretty... then he got sick and turned all red... I'm actually seeing blue come back, really bright actually. (he's all healed :D)
He's such a pig, even moreso when he was younger, but right now he eats 3 pellets 2x a day, would eat more but I don't let him because he is getting old and I dont want to make any mistakes since it could be life or death.
I'll definately try the partial water changes more regularely, I just kind of thought his fins were too long so they just kind of did that, then I read about fin rot and was like oh no! :O but this is slightly better news if it will help :)
I'm actually surprised everyone says he's old. I kept him in a gallon bowl for 3 years of his life before he got sick and I actually learned what to do... he's definately a fighter :)
Question... what is a betta's normal behavior? because Pug really just stays still most of the time. he'll swim around for a bit, then just stay at teh top for an hour or so, then swim to the bottom, swim/crawl through the fake plants a tiny bit, then just go find a place to stay for a few more hours... is this normal? or could it be his age?
would adding aquarium salt help?

That sounds about the same as what my bettas do, unless I come into the room, then they start doing the "crazy dance."
If you want to check for velvet, you can shine a flashlight down the side of him, and if it shimmers orange he might have it. It is a fungus so it would need to be cure with an anti-fungal med.
Bettas usually only live 3-6 years, so I think he is doing pretty well!
It might take longer for his fins to heal up, since he is older, and they might not heal at all. But it's worth trying, and clean water is always the best medicine. ;)

My bettas are far more active. They each have a nice peice of decor that they will take a rest in during the day but most of the time, they are swimming around exploring, and definitely greeting anyone who comes near their tanks. One of them stops and lays on something constantly. He'll swim swim swim lay on a leaf, swim swim swim lay on the roof of his house, swim swim swim lay nose down in his java fern, swim swim swim lay on his bridge...he's so cute and funny! If your betta always acted this way, it must be normal for him. I'm glad you got him into a tank..he may have gotten use to a more sedentary lifestyle in a bowl all that time. Also do you skip feeding once a week? IMO you should feed 6 days and fast the 7th to help prevent constipation.

I do skip feeding once a week, I've thought of feeding him peas but because the pieces always sink, I don't think he'd realize what happened and just keep waiting at the top for food lol

Try dropping it right in front of his face, or using a toothpick. Just make sure you cut the super pointy part off before using it.

thanks, I heard people suggesting toothpicks before and was worried about that... and he'll just take the food off it? I was also considering rounded tweezers but don't know how that would work since his mouth is so small lol

Back
Top Bottom