does this guppy have dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

linds3y

Aquarium Advice Freak
I just noticed the scales and I'm really worried...he hangs around the top of the tank and in the floating plants alot, so do 3 of my other guppies though..

Sorry the pictures aren't very good, they're the best I could get :( I really don't wanna lose this guy or for disease to spread..

If he does have it then what should I do? Is there any cure?

Attachments

• 2914.jpg
    2914.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 132
  • 2915.jpg
    2915.jpg
    14.8 KB · Views: 112
IMO it looks like dropsy, I'm very sorry but after they start the pine coning stage there isn't much you can do. Sometimes a salt bath will help reduce the fluid but this doesn't always work.

"Dropsy is a symptom rather than a disease unto itself and can indicate a number of underlying causes including bacterial infections, parasitic infections or liver"

Do you have a place that you can quarantine him at?

I have a 5 gallon tank that my irresponsible brother used to.house goldfish in until I rehomed them a few days ago..it still needs a good cleaning and has no filter or heater though :/ I know someone who works at a pet store and he tells me there is medication I can dose the whole tank with, would that be okay? Cuz I really don't have the money to buy another filter and heater at the moment :(

I have 5 guppies, a honey gourami, 10 neon tetra and a bn pleco in the same tank along with 2 snails...should I be worried about the others? Will dropsy spread??

datkush said:
I have 5 guppies, a honey gourami, 10 neon tetra and a bn pleco in the same tank along with 2 snails...should I be worried about the others? Will dropsy spread??

Dropsy itself will not spread but if it is caused by an underlining issue there is the potential that something will. Without knowing what the problem could be its not safe to say that starting a round of meds would be the best answer.

Is the fish showing any physical signs of sickness other than the pine coning?
What size is the tank?
What are your water levels? (ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, Ph)

Other than the pine coning and sticking to the top, he'd acting normally. He still swims around and to the bottom and stuff, but seems to favor being at the top...a few others are doing it too but they look normal. Its a 15 gallon. I know too small for the bn pleco but he'll be moved to my 75 eventually. But everyone else is looking and acting normal..as for the tests, I'll have to test it tomorrow because I haven't been home much all day but as soon as I know I'll post it.

Fish with dropsy has died. I will do a 50% water change and starting treating the tank with medicine for bacterial infection as my neons color isn't looking too good and my honey gourami has developed some black marks...snails were moved to my bettas tank until dosing is over

Nitrate: between 0 and 20 ppm
Nitrite: 0
Ph: 7.8
Ammonia: 0.25

Sorry about your fish. :(
Just keep an eye on the others and do water changes when needed, probably wouldn't hurt to do one anyways because of the death.
I am sorry, I'm not aware of what the black marks on the Gourami would be.
Please keep us posted and hope for the best.

I was worried that it was ammonia poisoning but the ammonia isn't that high... I changed 2/3rds of the water this morning. Didn't have the best filter on it, just a tetra h.ob. filter rated for 20 gallons that's quite old, I suspect that had something to do with it...got a new penguin bio wheel filter for up to 30 gallons I believe that I will be putting on tomorrow and treating with pimafix.

Back
Top Bottom