Dojo Loach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pls1210

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have been researching the dojo loach and have been seeing different info than I was given by the lfs. Are dojo loaches better in groups or by themselves?

Group of 3, ideally 6 is my understanding. They'll be stressed without company, but will survive solo. Bit mean in my opinion to keep a social fish alone.

Sent from my LG-E980 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Definitely a social fish. In fact, assume a loach is social unless research specifically suggests they arent. The vast, vast majority of loaches need to be in groups.

They also get rather large and prefer water too cool for most tropical fish. But they are very awesome- my 2nd favorite fish- so I highly recommend them if you have the right setup.

Thanks y'all. Most of the things I read said more than one but the lfs said one would be fine. I just don't want to have a poor lonely loach.

Thanks y'all. Most of the things I read said more than one but the lfs said one would be fine. I just don't want to have a poor lonely loach.
If you can get a good setup for them, they are FANTASTIC fish. I can't recommend them enough. I literally cried when I lost my oldest and last one a few years back.

King dojo

Dojo loaches are the bomb! I love the way they play freeze tag and clown around with each other, they are wonderfully entertaining to watch! Yes, keep them in groups, their social behavior is beyond description, more like puppies than like fish. They become quite docile with you, they're the first to come running up at feeding time and they even let you touch them and handfeed them after awhile. If you love eels and eel-like fish like I do but don't like the fact they stay hidden most of the time these guys are the best of both worlds, eel-like swimmers that are almost always active and out in the open! I have 3 gold dojos, they are beautiful, I've attached a pic of one of them. They are the first fish everyone sees and comments on when they look at their tank, they are the stars and put on a constant show for us. They have to rank as one of my favorite pet fish, they truly are pets and develop a relationship with you that is remarkable. Check out this vid I found:

Eaten Alive by Weather Loach!!! - YouTube

Attachments

• dojogold.jpg
    dojogold.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 323
Back
Top Bottom