Dojo Loaches?? (aka weather loaches)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hsherman1986

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Anyone have experience with these guys?

I have been tending to my neighbor's fish, and she has a pair of these guys. I enjoy feeding them so much, that I was thinking of getting a couple myself. They will swim up to the surface and eat the food directly out of my hand, and start swimming through my hand like they want me to hold them.

I was just wondering if anyone else had any other experience with these fish. Pros, cons, and the like.

Also, could I have a pair in my tank with the four cories, two soon to be three clown loaches, and two CAE scattered amoung the bottom of my tank (its a 55g). Oh, and yes I know the clown loaches will need a bigger home, and am already planning that purchase. But right now, they are only 3".

They are very cool. I have one myself, and he's great. But it's better to get 2 or 3. As for cons, they do good in warmer water, but prefer cooler water. Other than that, they are awsome. You can get either the regular ones or the Golden Dojo Loaches.

As for other fish, they get along with just about anything.

They get big (12"), can be rather boisterous (and will chase smaller fish...and eat fry), and really don't seem to care about snails. A good top is needed, or you will likely find them on the floor at some point, and yes, they do get hyperactive with sudden barometric changes.

They are so great, my favorite fish overall. They are so much fun to watch, and they do not need a heated tank. I have two in my 10gal, once they get bigger they are going to my pond. They get along with anybody, and they are so darn cute. I highly reccomend them. You would get so much enjoyment out of them. I am not sure about the CAE though, i hear they are agressive. You could try, just have another tank to fall back on if it doesnt work.

They are so great, my favorite fish overall. They are so much fun to watch, and they do not need a heated tank. I have two in my 10gal, once they get bigger they are going to my pond. They get along with anybody, and they are so darn cute. I highly reccomend them. You would get so much enjoyment out of them. I am not sure about the CAE though, i hear they are agressive. You could try, just have another tank to fall back on if it doesnt work.

They do just fine with CAE's. I have 4 in my 55G with the dojo loach, several other loaches, tiger barbs, and 2 fire eels. They get along just fine.

cool. And none of my tanks actually have a heater. It is so warm here in texas right now, I have them on hand, but they are never in use. The water at room temperature is around 78* F, and does not fluctuate very much.

I think I may pick a couple up tomorrow (going to the lfs anyway for BS eggs).

I am not worried about there size, the tank they will be going in will be upgraded within the next year anyway (i know the clown loaches will eventually need more space). Thinking of a nice 150g :D

And this is my big fish tank that they will be going into. All of the fish that were 1.5" or under got moved out for fear of the angels picking on them. Current stock of this tank is one full grown angel, two 3" clown loaches, two 3" CAE, three 3" cories, one 2" cory, two 2" GBR, and some asst. mollies and platies.

when i got into tropic aquariums, i wanted an eel looking fish after looking at some dojos

somehow i ended up with the much less impressive, and reclusive kuhli loaches (black kuhli's not the colorful ones)

now i wish i had gotten dojos as i understand they learn to be very hand tame, even to the point when your cleaning the tank, you actually have to scoot them out of the way

i had seen some golden dojo's at walmart for $8, and because its walmart, im like "those idiots are trying to sell albino kuhli loaches for $8?)

then i found out golden dojo's range from $25-40, and they dont carry them anymore

... my advice, other loaches arent as friendly, (i havent seen my kuhli's out for a very long time, they just hide) so go dojo

my neighbor has kuhli's living and breeding under her UGF in her 29g.

I plan on purchasing at least two (dojo's) when I get back from Washington next week. Don't really want to purchase fish right before I go out of town. Don't want them dying or something and my mom freaking out thinking she killed a new aquisition.

Back
Top Bottom