dolmation molly hanging around bottom

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rickster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi all, im new posting here so I'll try to post to the best of my knowledge.

So I have a 10gallon tank with a modified aquaclear filter (changed filter elements and have a plastic cut square pushed in to force more water through the filter elements) I've replaced the carbon filter media with another sponge aprox 2 weeks ago (tanks been set up for about 2 monthes, I did a live break in cycle with 2 mollys, 1 dwarf frog, 1 otto catfish, and recently added yoyo loach 2 weeks ago.) I havnt done any testing but have religiously done partial water changes frequently and vacuumed the gravel. All my fish are healthy and happy except 1.

So this morning I got up and checked on the fish, my 1 dolmation molly was swimming funny. Really lazy and slow, near the bottom and was doing cork screws (would float upside down and then dart forward back rightside up) I was immediately concerned. I removed the fish and put it in a bowl of treated water with a mini heater for comfort. Did some research and the only thing I can come up with is potentially, something wrong with her swim bladder? or maybe ready to have fry? I have no idea. I hope someone else can post some help.

My water is always good quality and clear. Its kept at a consistent 25* Celsius, I do often feed blood worms (frozen in cubes) and sometimes flakes. I drop in veggie wafers for the otto to snack on (he does eat the blood worms on occasion too) the yoyo loach appears to enjoy the wafers aswell. As for my filter I run 2 sponges (one more porous than the other) with a polishing pad ontop (makes for exceptional water clarity) and a large bag of the ceramic bio ball type media on top for the biofilter.

Aside from all that I declorinate my water with api conditioner, (temperature matched) I use stress zyme+ (poured directly onto my bio-bag with water changes) to boost good bacteria. I once used ammo-lock near the beginning of the cycle, I know it was dumb (I claim ignorance) but havnt used it since. I sometimes use nutrafin clear fast to clear the particles in the water.

I will attach pics to illustrate

Attachments

• 20140330_114024.jpg
    20140330_114024.jpg
    201.8 KB · Views: 55
  • 20140330_114055.jpg
    20140330_114055.jpg
    209.3 KB · Views: 58
  • 20140330_114206.jpg
    20140330_114206.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 54
First of all you should feed flakes everyother day any bloodworm as a occasional treat he sounds like he has swim bladder problems or constapation which in this case you should boil some green peas take the shell of and give them to your Molly which unblocks them I do this every week after they have eaten as for swimming bladder problems there isn't really much u can do apart from keep the water extra clean this helps the fish restore it's sack also check the ph ammonia and nitrates hope I helped

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

First thing that comes to
Mind is swim bladder which basically means it's constipated. Another problem is that mollies need at least 20 gallons to feel comfortable. Mollies like to swim a lot. It's kind of like a 6'5" dude driving a Mini Cooper. It can work but definitely not ideal.

Your tank is overstocked so you will have to do water changes every 2 or 3 days. I would get a bigger tank and just use the 10 as a quarantine tank. You will also need a liquid testing kit which is probably the most important piece of keeping a healthy tank.

Thank you all for the replies, I wont feed the fish for a day or so and have dropped in soft peeled peas. I'll try and get a test kit today to see if water is cycled properly. I hope for the best other wise the other molly will be very lonely :( I know my tank is abit overstocked, thats why I got higher gpm filter with interchangeable filter media (I plan to use this filter once I upgrade to a larger tank) once again thank you all :)

Even if you don't get a kit, do a 50% water change. Mollies have a high bioload. The only fish you have that can live in a 10g comfortably is the Oto. Adding filtration does not give them room to swim or room to grow.

Don't add anymore fish. Keep testing your water and you may need to do partial water changes every other day, depending on test results.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

molly update

I regret to inform everyone that my one molly unfortunately died :(, however since it had passed my water quality has gotten much much better. (Likely has to do with the change of diet) I have been feeding only flakes and bloodworms every once in awhile (my dwarf frog loves them) and the same algae wafers for my otto/yoyo botia. All the inhabitants look much better and healthier/active. however I still have not gotten a test kit (I know I should have one) have been keeping up with my partial water changes weekly and regular vacuuming, plan on getting a larger tank very soon.

Thank you all

Back
Top Bottom