don't know much about lighting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

supermazz9

Aquarium Advice Activist
I don't know much about lighting. actually, nothing.

that being said, I'm replacing lights, and I don't know what to get, upgrade, what have you.

I have a 30" t5, with a coralife 6700k and a colourmax bulb.

I have a 36" t5, with a I believe the same thing.

the tank with the 30" is well planted, with kribs mostly, and some assorted loaches.

The tank with the 36" is lightly planted, although that might change soon if I find a new home for my tiger barbs (they rip the crap out of any plant in there).

Can I get 10000k bulbs? What difference will it make? do I keep the actinic?

Does anyone know any good articles on lighting, for the electrical noob that I am?

Generally it's recommended to get bulbs rated between 5000K to 10000K. Anything with in that range should be fine for the plants. Beyond that the rating gives an indication of how the lights will look to the human eye. Closer to 5000K is going to look more yellow and will bring out the greens of plants. Closer to the 10000K is going to be more blue and bring out the colors of fish. Really it's a matter of what you feel looks best to you.

What aspect of lighting are you want to read about? How to DIY a fixture? Something else? There are some good links in the stickied threads at the top of the Planted Aquarium forum which include information on lighting.

Back
Top Bottom