dp's 300 gallon build

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've been noticing a few aiptasia and a few other 'pests' (majano) appear throughout our tank and I wanted to battle the issue before it became a real problem. After a bit of research I decided to order a high power laser pointer from LuckLaser. Shipping only took a few weeks coming from China and zapping some of the pests only took a few minutes!

Probably the most fun I've ever had with an aquarium 'maintenance tool.'

For those interested and decide to try it, I can't stress enough that this is a serious laser that can burn your skin and destroy your eyesight. Don't use it without safety glasses and clear the room when you are working with it!

Not so awesome, today we lost our purple tang. :(
(not an April fools joke)

Very odd because tank params were good, nobody was fighting and we've had him a decent amount of time. Can't figure out what it was but it honestly looked like fingerprints on both sides of his body. Googled that and believe it or not Tang Fingerprint Disease showed up. Anyone know about that one? Signs started showing on Sunday and was dead by Wed. Sad!

I could be misdiagnosing but maybe? Here was my post on it:
http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f16/tang-fingerprint-disease-333637.html

Sorry about your loss. I know Tangs can succumb to many different things. I had a Naso for 3 years and it literally died overnight. How is the Achilles?

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Thank you. Part of the hobby I guess. Sucks when you try so hard to make it a healthy home and they die. Achilles is ok at this point. Eating good and looking ok. But who knows what tomorrow will bring...ugh

I was confused as I read the thread from the beginning to catch up and it looked like things were moving a bit fast.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Feeling like I gots to keep my dudes as happy as possible I went ahead and added one of those gyre 150's.

Wow - great flow!
Crappy controllability based on using mp40's with reeflink but I'm guessing they will step it up soon!

Now I have to figure out how I can hide that wire! Drill a hole above it or cut the cable, feed it through overflow box slats and then resplice back together. Hum...

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428104166.304527.jpg

Well, if it were me I would simply run it up the overflow and along the hood. Or if you insist on cutting something just drill a hole in the overflow right behind the device. I would not be comfortable splicing anything that will be even close to salt water.

Sorry about the purple btw.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Leaning towards drilling a hole. Prob void the warranty too if I cut the wire. Ugh, drilling makes me a bit nervous but I'm sure there are a few good posts here about it.

Thanks man

A few observations after having the gyre installed (vertically) for those interested:

• It moves the sand SLIGHTLY 8 feet away at the opposite side of the tank without kicking it up.
  • The Anthias love hanging out in front of it.
  • It does make a slight humming noise but very quiet compared to mp40's.
  • My Achilles Tang likes the mp40's better. (surfs in front of the echotechs much of the night and occasionally throughout the day)
  • My skimmer has been working more so I'm feeling good about the added flow to my system.
  • Wish there was a 'night' setting and/or a bit more control over it.

I was getting tired of hooking up the hose each time I did a water change so I decided to just lay some pipe!

Should work pretty good. Open two valves and the water will drain out to the backyard drain.

All about saving time in the future!

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429281842.583754.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429281899.837649.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429281976.524458.jpg

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1429282041.346653.jpg

Back
Top Bottom