dragonette.. I'm in love

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redchick2

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi,
Just wanted to show off my new manderin dragonette. Looks like he will eat well. He hops/glides around chasing things that my old eyes can't see, and I have seen him pecking at the live rock. I even think he was picking up bits of flake the damsels missed, but that might have been little thingys in the crushed coral. I'm am now so completey addicted....
I'm not sure if I uploaded pics the first try, so if they are duplicated..well, it's me you're dealing with.

Attachments

• DSCF0331.jpg
    DSCF0331.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 73
  • DSCF0324.jpg
    DSCF0324.jpg
    83.4 KB · Views: 87
  • DSCF0325.jpg
    DSCF0325.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
It is in the 10g. I couldn't resist <blush> . I was told by the retailer that it won't get any larger than 3" and it is a lot more interesting than the damsels. If it grows larger, then is the perfect excuse to explain to my hubby why I NEED a larger tank. At this point, everything seems to be working well together, but if that changes, so can I. : )

Your tank is to small and looks way to new.
They only eat live food like pods and will never live in a 10 gallon.

Very good looking fish. However, with the mandarins it is not the size that the fish grows to that is the problem, it is the pod population. It is unlikely, but hopefully it was actually eating the fish food you added to the tank. If it is not eating the food you add to the tank it will starve to death. I also tried to keep a mandarin once. I have a 75-gallon and at the time I had about 75lbs of live rock, this was about 6-months after the cycle. The mandarin quickly depleted my pod population and within a month and a half I could tell it was starving because its belly was sinking in. I returned it back to the LFS in an effort to save its life. I hate to tell you but, I dont think its possible (unless it is eating fish food) for it to survive in a 10-gallon. Even if you stuffed it with 25lbs of live rock, you would still need a big refugium on there where the pods could breed. I think the ethical thing would be to get the bigger tank, return it, or start to purchase live copepods in a bottle every couple weeks which cost about $20 per bottle.

That rock looks brand new. Please remove the fish. Remember that almost all these fish are caught in the ocean from a reef only to be bought by you. It deserves the best chance possible. With a reef tank you want to preplan all your stock from food needs to tank size to compatibility.
The reef gods are always whatching.............

I agree, those fish can deplete their natural diet in such a small tank and quickly starve. They need a larger, well established tank with a huge pod population. I would look into taking him back and upgrading to a larger tank. Let the larger tank become mature and then buy another one.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but I would hate to see you post in the sick fish section asking, "why is my fish getting thin?".

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but there looks to be a condylactis in your first pic? If so, fluttery fish and sticky tentacles don't mix well. You will have to be careful in how you stock with a condy in there.

The rock he is by in the pic is not live rock, it is holy rock. maybe one day it will "live", but not now. There are quite a few pods in the algae, but I'm not sure how well they are reproducing. He (she?) also likes brine shrimp, but I'm told they are not a complete food for him. I'll try to remember to take a full shot of the aquarium to give a better overview of the layout. I'm new to this and appreciate all advise. I do know if I can only have one fish, it would be him.

What is the time estimate for a tank to mature? Seems to be different opinions, so would like to know what has worked for y'all.

I usually let a tank "mature" or "stabilize" a month after a cycle and sometimes 2-3 months before adding any fish/coral depending on my expected outcome.

When I finished the cycle I did a 33% PWC and waited a month or two for the tank to stabilize.

MOST mandarins do not survive in a tank that is smaller than 100 gallons with 1½ of LR per gallon (150 pounds). Even with a pod pile you will not be able to produce enough food for this fish. If it does eat frozen food, it still needs at least a 30 gallon tank to roam.

A mature tank for a mandarin is one that is about 7-8 months or longer after the cycle has ended and has enough LR to allow the pod population to grow (no other competitors).

Just reporting back in on the mandarin. He decided that he Realy likes the vitaminized brine shrimp. He is growing and plump. Can't wait till I get him into the 55g. Should be ready for him by the end of next month.

You are very lucky that your`s eat`s prepared food. Most can not overcome eating only pods and end up starving to death. You might want to try frozen mysis and see if he`ll eat that. The sooner you can get him in that 55 the better.

Back
Top Bottom