Driftwood and pH?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alzy

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Bought some driftwood at "Elmers' Aquariums" very dense and did sink on its own, all water parameters are in good range but pH is a tad low according to lfs.
My question would ask if the driftwood could be responsible for the pH being "low"

What is your ph and how did the local fish store measure it.. with strips or an actually test tube kit? It is very much worth the money to invest in an API master test kit so you can take your own readings with a good kit.

As for your question, yes certain types of DW but especially bog wood can lower ph.

I need to know the exact ph of your tank. Is your store using test strips to test water? If so test strips are not usually that accurate at all. You really need to invest in an API Master test kit so you can take your own readings. It's very much worth the money. You don't want to be adding any ph up as you mentioned in your thank you as it's not a solution other than a temp one that isn't good for fish. Once I know your true ph there are remedy's for low ph that are much safer to use. Also you need to test your tap water by placing water in a cup for 24 hours and stirring it occassionally to help gas it off, then after the 24 hours is up test the ph of the water to get an exact reading. Until you get the tap and tank water ph readings I can't suggest anything.

Driftwood and pH

Bought some driftwood at "Elmers' Aquariums" very dense and did sink on its own, all water parameters are in good range but pH is a tad low according to lfs.
My question would ask if the driftwood could be responsible for the pH being "low"

Hello Al...

Mopani driftwood from the pet store is dense and most pieces will sink without help. Knowing the pH of the water in your tank would be helpful, but a pH between 6 and up to 8.5 is tolerable for most aquarium fish. The vast majority will adapt to the vast majority of public water supplies.

I wouldn't fret over the pH issue, it's not very important. Just set up and follow a sound tank management routine that includes large, weekly water changes and the tank chemistry will be safe for your fish.

B

Back
Top Bottom