Driftwood and rocks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Islayedgoliath

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I'm going to go look for some driftwood and rocks this weekend, and I need advice on choosing the best rocks and driftwood.
Thank you in advance. :)

No I'm not buying. >_<
I'm going out into the wild to find some good pieces!

Try to choose wood that is dried out or has been laying in a stream or pond. No fresh wood. The sap could be dangerous to fish. Stay away from Pine, Locust or other soft wood. Take your fingernail and push it into the wood. If your fingernail makes a dent then don't use it. You can use hard wood like Popular, oak, Walnut, Birch or something along those lines. Grapevine is also okay. When you get it home, scrub it down and boil it for awhile. Or soak it in a bucket of water for a week changing the water daily. This will help get rid of any bad stuff it may have soaked up.

For rocks. Take along some vinegar. When you find a rock you like make a scratch in it and pour on some vinegar. If it fizzes it has lime in it and will raise you PH. I have heard it said that sandstone is not good for a tank but I have used it and never had a problem. Just make sure it doesn't fall apart in water. Good luck on you hunt.

Thank you! I think finding drift wood will be easy to find because of where I live :p
I can't wait to go out and look!

Thank you for the advice!

Natural Tank Decor

So I'm going to go look for some driftwood and rocks this weekend, and I need advice on choosing the best rocks and driftwood.
Thank you in advance. :)

Hello I...

You must live in a temorate climate. I wouldn't want to do this kind of thing this time of year. Anyway, most large wood pieces will do. They'll likely float, so some larger rocks are needed to weigh down the driftwood.

The wood pieces can just be rinsed well and a brush with good bristles can be used to remove any small pieces. Boiling softens the fibers and the wood won't stay together as long. The chances of bacteria are remote, I wouldn't worry about it.

Rocks can be tested by putting a few drops of vinegar on them. If there's a reaction of any sort, don't use them. Otherwise a good rinse and they're tank ready.

B

Back
Top Bottom