Driftwood growth?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

newfrye

Aquarium Advice Regular
My driftwood has something growing on it. I bought a couple snails, but they don't seem to want to eat the growth. Do I need to take the dw out and scrub it down? My other thought is to get a small algae eater, like an oto, but would they eat that stuff? Tank is 90 fresh community, ph 8 amm 0 nitrite 0 nitrate 10. Doing a water change tomorrow.

Forgot to add the picture

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393544227.650354.jpg
    ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1393544227.650354.jpg
    250.1 KB · Views: 108
My driftwood is growing the same thing, which is apparently common with newer wood. I've been told it's harmless and will go away on its own with a little time. Alternatively, you could scrub it off with a toothbrush and/or spot treat it with 3% hydrogen peroxide until it stops coming back.

Also I'm told plecos will eat it, but I'm unsure about otos. I imagine they would too?

That is normal on most drifwood that's new. It will go away after some time and I think its like a mold/fungus that's completely harmless. Your fish may pick at it too. If you think its unsightly then remove the wood and scrub it off with a sponge that hasn't been used. I have sponges that are strictly for my aquariums

There was some on my dw for the first few weeks I had it. My snails seemed to enjoy eating it

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay. I'll keep an eye on it. It has been in there for about two. Months and the mold/fungus did go away but came back, as seen in the picture. I won't worry about it for now and will let it cycle. Thanks for putting my worries to rest.

Jwh, I also have sponges just for aquarium use. I didn't want to tell people that because I thought I may be the only one, glad to hear I'm not alone.

Okay. I'll keep an eye on it. It has been in there for about two. Months and the mold/fungus did go away but came back, as seen in the picture. I won't worry about it for now and will let it cycle. Thanks for putting my worries to rest.

Jwh, I also have sponges just for aquarium use. I didn't want to tell people that because I thought I may be the only one, glad to hear I'm not alone.

Nope, I have about 10!!! I use them a lot especially during water changes to clean the glass a bunch. Also use them to clean filters out every so often

That actually looks a lot like Rhizoclonium algae. From the pictures it doesn't look like the white fungus that often grows in driftwood. Amano shrimp will usually eat it. It's caused from low CO2 levels, low flow, and low nutrients. How much water do you change out of your tank weekly? Do you have any live plants? You can remove the DW from the tank, scrub it off, and then pour hydrogen peroxide 3% over the wood and let sit for 20 minutes before putting back in the tank. You can add a small powerhead to create more current in the tank. Do you know your nitrate and phosphate levels?

Wowzers.... That's a lot to chew on. Okay let's see.... For water changes about 30% percent weekly. I have some DHG and add co2 booster daily. Nitrates are between 10 and 20, phosphates I have no idea. I also add plant food daily with the co2 booster. I use a cascade 1000 filter and changed the direction of the water going back into the tank from straight down to across the top of the tank to flowing diagonally from the back corner to the front middle.

Yesterday I left the light off all day and the growth seems to have gone down some. Not sure of that helps. I read somewhere that danios and tetras may like to eat shrimp. Wish I remember where. I have 6 neon tetras and 6 leopard danios. I don't want to buy shrimp if they are just going to be fish food.

I would like to do a co2 tank system, but have no experience one eating that up. I would love to move away from the plastic plant jungle.

Back
Top Bottom