Driftwood help pls?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

New2me

Aquarium Advice Freak
I have never used real decorations yet...looking into plants and wood. Can anyone suggest the safest way to add wood to my tank pls?! Don't want it to harm my fish or change PH etc. Do I boil it and it's ready to go in once cooled? Have seen bogwood at pet shop.. Looked a bit ugly and like it was crumbling??!! Can't be good?

60L freshwater, temp 25, PH 7.6, no plants...2 cory's and 6 rummynose at the moment. Cycled :) thanks for reading

Are you looking to add Drift Wood?
Then yes, you should boil it. I am not sure for how long though.
Btw, you are a bit over stocked with the rummy nose's. They need at least 10-20 gallons.

Boil it for 2 hours, then to be safe, I let it soak in a tub of water completely overnight to 2 days, to get it water logged! Hope this helps!

Are you looking to add Drift Wood?
Then yes, you should boil it. I am not sure for how long though.
Btw, you are a bit over stocked with the rummy nose's. They need at least 10-20 gallons.

I have 60L, think that is about 15G.....definitely between 10-20G ?? Thanks for wood info tho.

What I did was boil mine for about 30 minutes. Then put the boiling water in a bucket big enough to accomodate the drift wood. Then put hot water in enough to keep the drift wood completely submerged. Then put the wood in and I use a weight to hold the drift wood down. Let it soak for 24 hours.

At this point it will release the tannins and make the water rusty colored. This is normal. I then empty out the bucket fill with water as hot as I can get it, submerge the drift wood again. Wait another 24 hours and repeat.

Keep doing this until the drift wood sits at the bottom without being weighed down and all the water is clear in the bucket.

Took me about a week and then I did a final scrub of the driftwood and put in my tank. Hope that helps.

What I did was boil mine for about 30 minutes. Then put the boiling water in a bucket big enough to accomodate the drift wood. Then put hot water in enough to keep the drift wood completely submerged. Then put the wood in and I use a weight to hold the drift wood down. Let it soak for 24 hours.

At this point it will release the tannins and make the water rusty colored. This is normal. I then empty out the bucket fill with water as hot as I can get it, submerge the drift wood again. Wait another 24 hours and repeat.

Keep doing this until the drift wood sits at the bottom without being weighed down and all the water is clear in the bucket.

Took me about a week and then I did a final scrub of the driftwood and put in my tank. Hope that helps.

Very helpful, sounds good thanks! Did u have any experience of it changing PH at all? Will test the bucket water before putting it in tank just incase.

Back
Top Bottom