Driftwood question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

smileyface9

Aquarium Advice Freak
Are there any driftwood that barely lower the ph? And how much will it lower the ph? My ph is finally stable at 7.4 to 7.6 and i would like to keep it there..but i want a pleco and i haven't decided which yet, but i heard some need driftwood. My temp is at 80.

Plecos don't necessarily NEED bogwood/driftwood, some just enjoy it. I kept plecs for over a year in a tank without any, then I decided to get some for them and they haven't bothered with it all. If anything I'd advise a sand substrate for plecs, that's made the biggest difference to mine

dudeofrude said:
Plecos don't necessarily NEED bogwood/driftwood, some just enjoy it. I kept plecs for over a year in a tank without any, then I decided to get some for them and they haven't bothered with it all. If anything I'd advise a sand substrate for plecs, that's made the biggest difference to mine

Thank you! :D that makes me soo happy!! And i have some sand :) i changed a few weeks ago from gravel..but i still need to add more because i didn't have enough money to buy alot of sand. But i know what i'm gonna do

All plecos like wood and some NEED it it depends on the type of pleco. I have a tiger pleco that will never come out of his piece of driftwood. But then I have a common that doesn't care.. Plus it helps with their digestive system. I had alot of driftwood and it hasn't lowered my ph at all I don't know why. If anything you can get little pieces of driftwood so the pleco can gnaw on.

Sharkbait54 said:
All plecos like wood and some NEED it it depends on the type of pleco. I have a tiger pleco that will never come out of his piece of driftwood. But then I have a common that doesn't care.. Plus it helps with their digestive system. I had alot of driftwood and it hasn't lowered my ph at all I don't know why. If anything you can get little pieces of driftwood so the pleco can gnaw on.

Good idea! I never thought of little peices..what type do you have? (if you know what it is) what're the peramiters and water temp range for a tiger pleco?

Well with my guy nitrates were never really an issue so I know they are not sensitive to that.

He was kept with discuss at one time so temp varies from, I would say 78-85 roughly. Maybe a bit lower.

As far as what type of driftwood I don't know if they have a favorite but I have a couple types and they don't seem to care so any aquarium safe driftwood will do.

Sharkbait54 said:
Well with my guy nitrates were never really an issue so I know they are not sensitive to that.

He was kept with discuss at one time so temp varies from, I would say 78-85 roughly. Maybe a bit lower.

As far as what type of driftwood I don't know if they have a favorite but I have a couple types and they don't seem to care so any aquarium safe driftwood will do.

Back
Top Bottom