Driftwood Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bigge_al

Aquarium Advice Activist
I went down to the river and picked up a piece of drift wood. So I need an idea as to one is it safe to us since I have no idea what type of wood it is other than it is hard wood from the pieces of bark that was still attached.
I washed it twice in a dishwasher on extra hot after I cut it to size. Then I baked it at 200 for an hour. It came out nice and clean.
I plan to soak it in a cooler until it stops staining the water.

Is there anything I can do to make sure it is safe for my tank.

I would say throw it in the oven again for a couple more hours. Just to be safe, and then soak, soak, soak, soak, soak. Maybe if there is someone you know that could tell you what kind of wood it is. Do some research on the wood. Maybe a wood forum, haha. But you seem to have a good plan going.

I went down to the river and picked up a piece of drift wood. So I need an idea as to one is it safe to us since I have no idea what type of wood it is other than it is hard wood from the pieces of bark that was still attached.
I washed it twice in a dishwasher on extra hot after I cut it to size. Then I baked it at 200 for an hour. It came out nice and clean.
I plan to soak it in a cooler until it stops staining the water.

Is there anything I can do to make sure it is safe for my tank.

As along as your certain it's from a hardwood tree and you trust the river is clean ... I'd say it's good to go with what you've done.

As an extra precaution, you can oven roast it again:D ... or just boil it (assuming it fits in a pot) 2-3 times for about 15 min each. In your case this is more to help release tannins quicker.

Your fine with what you have done. Just change the water each time it darkens and you will be fine.

I boiled it 5x at 15min or longer each time. I then put it in a cooler covered in water. I plan to add it to the tank on the weekend after I get rid of the Ick.

Back
Top Bottom