Driftwood won't water log I need advice!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yea brick wouldn't even hold the biggest piece down

Get a piece of slate and screw it into the slate. Thats what I did for my rogue wood.

The one on the left is screwed to a double 6" x 12" piece of slate tile. IMG_1819.jpg

Yea brick wouldn't even hold the biggest piece down

I have one of those that needs a cinder block to sink. Temporarily attach something huge to sink it. When it waterlogs some you can attach a reasonable sized piece of slate.

My wood is finally giving up this do I float or do I sink game!!! With out being forced down, my wood stays under but kinda hovers over the substrate. I think with maybe another week wee will have sunken the wood the good old fashioned way, played the waiting game!IMG_1671.jpgIMG_1662.jpg

Nope! So I took it out of the tank about a week ago. I don't have the stuff to drill in a piece of slate and don't want to do it wrong so I took it out , got to frustrating not being able to scape the tank the way I wanted .

IMG_2807.jpg like this, but I still would love to re arrange and get that wood in lol. I'm a woman I can never make my mind up haha

It wasn't too much, but to much for wood that wouldn't water log!!! Water in that pic is a little hazy I had just got done with a water change .

Your tank looks good with the long whispy branch look. Might shop for Manzanita wood on line. It's consistent to what you already have. It doesn't stain the water much and takes about a week to sink. No slate, no boiling. Pictured is some of my Manzanita and Malaysian driftwood. Both groupings cost me about $30 bucks each. Maylasian sinks like a rock, but stains the water for years.

Attachments

• 20170906_084009.jpg
    20170906_084009.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 35
Is the manzanita the darker of the two you have? I'm thinking though as the discus get bigger I should either take the wood that has pointed edges out due to possible injury and possibly replace with thicker bulky type wood. What do you think? Btw I love the look of your tank!

The darker wood is the Malayasian. It's more common and readily available at LFS's. It does stain the water some, your discus would probably like that. Although it will immediately sink to the bottom, best to soak it in a bucket for a couple of weeks, changing the water periodicly to dilute the tannins. Usually no problems with driftwood injuring fish. It's sharp rocks that you got to watch out for.

Good to know ! I don't have sharp rocks. Tannins wouldn't bother me . I do water changes every day now that I finally got a syphon that connects to my sink. When I did have one I did water changes every other day. Now that I want thinking things through I have black and separated with a semi barrier of river rocks from the whitish sand it will be more of a challenge to rescape with out mixing the two. Not sure if that would look good or not

Maybe a suction cup to the bottom of the tank under the substrate and then use fishing line to tie the wood too?

I could do that I'd need a few suction cups! Good odea

You could have just used some black cotton thread and tied it to a rock. By the time the thread rots away the wood would be properly water logged.

Back
Top Bottom