Driftwood

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pamelarowley57

Aquarium Advice Regular
How do I get my driftwood water logged and settled on the bottom?

I soaked it in the bathtub in bleach water and then soaked it again in plain tap water. It is too big to boil and all that.

I have it in my 125 gal and it is floating....will it ever sink? do I need to place something heavy on it to get it fully submerged?

Never used the real stuff before, but it is a really awesome piece!

Thanks,
Pam

pamelarowley57 said:
How do I get my driftwood water logged and settled on the bottom?

I soaked it in the bathtub in bleach water and then soaked it again in plain tap water. It is too big to boil and all that.

I have it in my 125 gal and it is floating....will it ever sink? do I need to place something heavy on it to get it fully submerged?

Never used the real stuff before, but it is a really awesome piece!

Thanks,
Pam

You could screw slate to the bottom to sink it usin stainless steel screws

I agree with George. I had a similar big piece of dw and ended up having to take two big rocks and weigh it down by wedging them into crevices in the wood. That kept it down for long enough to get it water logged and after a couple weeks, I think, I took them off and it stayed. It's just a matter of fighting the buoyancy for long enough. Post some pics, it sounds cool!

Here are a couple of pics that show a little detail

aww man! That is super cool! If you are willing, since it looks like theres a good spot to put a big rock, you could put a big rock on the piece to weigh it down. Then once it finally gets water logged, take the rock off.

eqy2hy.jpg

Hmm, but maybe you'll need one on the other side too to keep it even. That really sucks, I had the same problem and just gave up.

pamelarowley57 said:
Here are a couple of pics that show a little detail

That's awesome! Its going to make a good addition to your tank. I'd just weigh it down like George said, even of its not in the right place and then you can move it around when it's ready to sink.

That is a really nice piece of driftwood...do whatever you have to do!! lol It'll be worth it. :D

We have a piece that is screwed into a ceramic tile, and the tile is hidden under the substrate. Our piece was so buoyant, I worried it might never sink. :nono:

Back
Top Bottom