Drooping tail - black tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Greeny

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello all,

Newbie here. I just bought a used 50 gallon aquarium yesterday. Complete with all equipment and some fish. To transport it, the fish were removed and the water emptied to 2 inches. It has an undergravel filter and one that hangs on the side. Neither was cleaned or dried out, but the gravel was vacuumed yesterday. The fish had a half hour drive and spent about 4-5 hours in the plastic ziploc bags.

I refilled the aquarium, added chlorine drops, tested for chlorine...it was zero. Warmed the water to 76 degrees. Floated the bags for 45 minutes to equalize the temperature and then added the fish.

This morning, one of the black tetras has a slightly droopy tail and possibly his top fin is cramping. I tested all the levels and they are all showing safe levels.

Is the fish stressed because of the move or could there be something else wrong? When should I expect him to perk up if he is going to recover?

Thanks for your help!!!

Greeny.

(It was tadpoles that got me into this! It began as a project for the kids.)

i would say it is stress, but i would keep a close eye on it to make sure its nothing worse, try raising the temp a little bit, and adding a small amount of aquarium salt, which restores essential electrolytes. How long has the tank been cycled for?

Back
Top Bottom