Dropsy? Fish looks like exploded inside out.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TTKarl

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I've had a harlequin rasbora that has had what i would say is a growth for about two years. It gradually got bigger and bigger. Today I came home to find him stuck to the filter looking quite fresh but with it's abdomin split open where the growth was. Is it possible that it really did split? The fish was swimming and eating well, yesterday i did notice some distressed breathing. It was still eating well so i didn't worry too much. Is it possible it could have lived that long with dropsy? Do i need to worry about it being contagious?

Attachments

• belly1_105.jpg
    belly1_105.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 207
Dropsy is a condition where the abdomen of the fish swells with fluid and their scales are raised and they look like a pinecone...It CAN be contagious and it could not be, I'd quarentine if this is the case to be on the safe side if you can. I'm not quite sure where you're talking about where the split is, could you be a bit more specific? :)

I have never heard of dropsy causing a split like that. Not to say that it hasn't happened, I certainly don't know everything. It sounds more like a tumour to me. Did the swollen area ever have the scales sticking out like a pinecone? I'd QT to be safe since you don't know what caused it.

Either that or your fish may have gotten cut by something in your tank, maybe being chased or something and hit one of your ornaments/plants or something...

The scales were never protruding. The growth was definitely in the abdomen but seemed to grow in more of a downward fashion than all around. The split was in the same place as the growth.

Attachments

• belly2_171.jpg
    belly2_171.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 359
Zagz said:
It sounds more like a tumour to me.

I agree 100%. The thing that confirms it for me is the fact that it lived with it so long, and it continued to grow, and eventually did actually rupture (split) the skin. I'd almost guarantee it was a tumor. It has all the characteristics.

Well that makes me feel better. At least it's not contagious! Thanks for all the responses.

Back
Top Bottom