Dropsy PLEASE HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Anna94

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I think my fish has dropsy and I want to try and treat it and I do have a spare tank but I don’t have an air stone to put in the tank and can’t afford to buy one right now as I’m very low on funds and even if I ordered one I’m afraid it wouldn’t get here in time. Can I keep the fish in the tank without an air stone or should I treat the whole main tank with the other fish?

Do you know the water parameters?

Do a few 50% pwc's one after the other. Get the water in top shape.

Do you have aquarium salt or kosher salt or sea salt with no additives?

Do you have Epsom salt? No additives, oils fragrance, etc.?

What kind of fish is it?

Do you have an extra filter?

Can you buy a splitter for the airline tube - a T or Y connector to use you present air pump.
https://www.petco.com/shop/en/petcostore/product/imagitarium-y-airline-connector

Walmart might also have it. Check under the sofa cushions, or the vehicle seat for some change, (in closet for handbag, backpack or wallet, etc.

Dollar store usually has $1. sea salt or kosher salt (make sure no additives.).

Generally when the fish has dropsy the internal organ damage is already at a high level. (reason why the fish is retaining/ not processing the fluids) Not maintaining osmotic regulation.

First thing is get the water perfect. The reason recommending several pwc's instead of one huge one is the gentle change of water quality which is less shocking to the ill fish's system.

You can also use a gallon pitcher or water change bucket for a fish hospital to reduce the amount of solution for treatment.

~~~~~~

Then the next part is the pure salt and magnesium / Epsom Salts /ES

You do the water changes to get the water excellent - make sure to try and match the temperature too,

Then mix up.....

You should make a concentrate and dissolve the necessary amount in hot water.

The water will need per gallon of tank / hospital tank water

1 teaspoon of pure salt
1 tablespoon of pure Epsom Salt

***** you can add cool water or ice to make the concentrate tank temp.
**Add dechlorinator

You can estimate or measure the amount of liquid "salt" concentrate you have made.

You can easily do this with 2 cups of water total.

Then remove the same amount from the treatment tank.

Add in 1/4 of the tank temp dechlorinated ES /Salt solution.

in an hour add in 1/4, and continue each hour until all of it is in the tank.

If you have the time, you can do approximate 1/8ths and do every half hour. I have added it all in small amounts every 5 min. in about a appx. a half an hour if it seemed the fish was about to die/ like in a super serious emergency.

There have never been any noticeable issue with the ES treatments.

Then for daily water changes...

If it is a 1G container or smaller amount I would do a 100% change with the appropriate amount of the ES and salt solution per gallon of treatment water.

If it is all together, with the other fish, I would do 2 - 50% the 1st day and again maybe the 2nd day as well, then 50% per day for 7-14 days.

Feeding lightly maybe half the amount but in 2 feedings so that the fish eats up the food quickly leaving none to rot. At least for the first few days to a week.

Also if it is a small container you can feed the fish, and in about a half hour to hour then do the water change. This just helps keep the water as pure as possible.

Back
Top Bottom