Dropsy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I would get some maracyn plus, kanaplex, furan-2, or triple sulfa. All of those will treat both gram positive and negative. Out of the ones I've tried furan-2 seems to do the best. Kanaplex I hear is the best option though.

But if it really is fish TB, it's in curable and VERY contagious, everyone in your tank is likely to have it. You can either euthanize or let them live out their lives, but if it were me I would euthanize if this next round of treatment doesn't help.
Also remember that TB can stick around even after bleach. You will need a tuberculocidal disinfectant to get rid of it, something like barbicide plus which is easily available at Sally's beauty supply and at a good price.

Just because your fish have been exposed doesn't mean they will ever show symptoms. Like I said before many fish can carry TB and never have a symptom. Do the antibiotics and make sure you keep their aquarium as healthy as possible for them.

Ok thanks everyone for your responses. If this treatment doesn't work I'll probably euthanize all the danios and maybe keep the gouramis as I suspect that they are asymptomatic carriers and start over, keeping them in their own tank. Do you think this is a good idea?

I personally do think you should if it doesn't help. Either euthanize them or keep them in their own tank without any occupants, if the danios show symptoms then its likely any other fish put with them will too

I don't see any point in euthanizing all your danios if they are not showing any symptoms

I agree. If they're jot suffering then why kill them just because you want different fish? Why not just get an entire new tank for that? Just an idea.

Thanks guys..... Yeah I'm starting to sway away from that idea.... I got my kanaplex in the mail today and added the dose to the bucket. I am going to treat the fish in the tank too, but it says you need to take out the activated carbon. I have herd tht if it's more than a week old then you don't have to anymore. Is this true? If it isn't how can I keep the bacteria on my filter pad and get rid of the activated carbon inside of it?

Thanks guys..... Yeah I'm starting to sway away from that idea.... I got my kanaplex in the mail today and added the dose to the bucket. I am going to treat the fish in the tank too, but it says you need to take out the activated carbon. I have herd tht if it's more than a week old then you don't have to anymore. Is this true? If it isn't how can I keep the bacteria on my filter pad and get rid of the activated carbon inside of it?

Cut it open and empty it but chances are you're still going to lose some of your BB. Luckily any decor and gravel has lots of BB on it too so you could potentially have no problem at all with taking the entire thing out. Or you could just have a mini cycle. I would take it completely out to be sure they get a full dose and keep testing if it were me.

How long has the current filter pad been in the tank? If its over a month just leave it in- I would think the carbon would be of negligible concern and the meds will be unaffected. Any less and I might try to manually remove the carbon and replace whatever is left of the filter pad back in, just check for ammonia or nitrite and if you see any of either appear, then do a few waterchanges until the mini cycle passes, then medicate.

Ok so I kept the filter pad in because it's been in there way more than a month. Just wondering: it says on the bottle of meds that u should only do up to three doses, then stop. I've heard that for TB u should treat for a month. Is this true or should I follow what's on the bottle?

Good question. I say do a deep forum search for old threads and the exact medication you are planning to dose and see if anybody had trouble with an extended treatment.

With larger waterchanges to refresh the tank you could (in my amateur opinion) try to dose for a longer period of consecutive days while keeping the concentration of the medications from getting too high.

I'm glad you decided to treat after all. I hope it works out for you!!
Was that information I PM'd you helpful at all?

Yes completely! It was a little scary at first haha, but I read most of it and none of my fish have died since the last one, so I think they have a good chance! In response to Marsh's post, I have been doing 50% water changes on the Bucket every other day and adding amquel on the days I don't because it's cycling. So, I don't think concentration of meds in the bucket will be an issue, but the tank is a whole different thing. I'll do some research, I may just do half a dose and then a WC every five days or something on the tank. Thanks! :)

When I used meds in a 8 gallon hospital tank I just made sure to add medication just after I changed water (25% usually each 24 hours) so that I was "removing" medicated water as far from when I had added a previous dose.

Hey so I finished my three day treatment for both the tank and the bucket and I couldn't find anything about prolonged treatment anywhere. I don't really know what to do...... The danio in the bucket is doing well, but still has a curved spine, but I read that can Be permanent. The danios in the tank are off. Sometimes at night they are extremely bloated and at the surface, but thy are fine in the morning. They also appear a little bit see through. One of my gouramis has been very occasionally rubbing against airline tubing and has some white dots on him and a white line on the end of his anal fin..... I feel like maybe it isn't tb, but something is defintely wrong..... I'm just kinda lost.....

Keep up treatments but consider if ich or newer infections have showed up and medicate accordingly

Alright so I'm pretty sure that it's not ich..... All of the white spots are near the edge of the fins and there is one white line across the anal fin, so I'm thinking more like fin rot.....the flashing might be from
Dominance , I've read this and this gourami is definitely king of the tank. I have melafix on hand, but I think I read somewhere that it's bad for labyrinth fish...... Well I was exploring other diseases to see what could connect them all I read that fish food loses it's nutrition shortly after being opened and mine have been opened for six months..... I have some unopened food on hand that I'll start using. This may explain the danios slight loss of color over time. Now a question.....since the spine curvature is permanent, should I add the danio in the bucket back to the main tank? Also, I read that spine curvature can be a genetic defect in zebra

image-3200514540.jpg

image-4185501155.jpg

danios that can show upas they grow older.... Do u think that this could be the issue not tb? Because none of the fish are showing the classic signs: emaciated, loss of appetite, etc.... Any advice would really help thanks :)

What do u it's think about my last post? I have been doing a second round of kanaplex on the bucket after doing two 50% water changes. He is responding well, the whole reason I decided to do another round was because he was lying at the bottom, but the next day ( after i added the kanaplex) he was up and swimming around and fine again. I am Debating whether or not to put him back into the tank. There is a good chance that he ingested some of the other fish in the bucket that had dropsy and died. I've heard that fish get dropsy by eating fish that had dropsy tht died. So I'm worried tht this fish will get it, but he hasn't yet, but kanaplex is supposed to treat it so idk what to do.... He can't stay in the bucket forever....

Keep him in a QT for a while, but get a rubbermaid or any plastic storage container so he has at least ten gallons. I added a whisper 10internal filter without the carbon, just pushed some filter pads in with squeezing a from my other filter(debatable if you should use your DT filter squeezing as they may reinfect him with whatever)

Back
Top Bottom