Dropsy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaddyD

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
every couple months I have a fish die from dropsy. First it was a couple Platy's last year and then a break with no deaths. Now it's my Danios. I lost 2 blue pearl danios --- and then two gold zebra's recently the past 3 weeks. I do 2 - 3 water changes per week 10 - 20 gallons. 60 gallon tank.
Planted aquarium.
I use Prime, 2 purigens, It's well past established. 0 ammonia. 5 to 10 nitrate, highest I ever tested was 20. Temp 82.
My question is if I'm using prime, doesn't that lock nitrate numbers up? As frequent as my water changes are (out the faucet it's 0 nitrate), I would think after a water change it would go down to 0, but even after an over 50%, running two purigens I still have nitrate and I've read nitrate is a common cause of dropsy.
I'm thinking if Prime is locking my nitrate numbers, then I have to adjust something else that I'm doing and stop worrying about the nitrate.

Edit:
Also concerned because it jumped from Platy to Danio after an extended break and my nitrates aren't really high.

Thanks

Dropsy should not be "killing" fish left and right.
Sounds more like camallanus worms or inproper diet causing the bloat.
Nitrates are not bad for fish unless they go above 20ppm, some even say 40

Hmm. I feed them mostly flake 2 times per day, then once or twice a week choose from frozen brine shrimp and bloodworms, peas, zuchinni and squash for that 2nd feeding
I'm going to feed just 1 x per day and see if that helps.

Thanks for the response!

Id cut down to once every 2 days. I had this problem a long time ago. Maybe look at adding some plants to the tank. Look for ones that have low co2 requirements and dose a macro fert from petsmart. The plants will soak up any excess nitrates and stuff. My last freshwater tank was 500 litre heavily planted and I had to dose nitrates to keep things in check but never lost a single fish

Edited.. Sorry just noticed you said your planted already. Have you got any pics?

Sent from my D6603 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I know it doesnt help but im suprised you have any nitrates in that tank with those plants. Nice tank BTW.

As I said I had a similar battle in my 1st tank in the end I found the only way I could win is by euthanasia. Nothing ever worked as far as treatment went so the first signs of illness in a fish and he went to clove scented u-bend heaven. Worst case is you have to start over in any case id stop buying/replacing fish and ride it out. If you start over clean the tank completely and leave it dry for a few weeks. Also find another supplier for your stock...some folks may say its a little extreme and im jumping the gun but I have spent a fortune on treatments in the past, far more than my entire stocks worth and had 0% success. If youve go an issue in your water no amount of water changes will cure it and moving stock to a qt tank will just move the problem to another tank

Edit - a Uv steriliser might be worth looking at.. I dont think your nitrate are the issue my tap water is almost 40ppm and ive ran tanks with no issues
Sent from my D6603 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom