DSB?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

drillsar

Aquarium Advice Activist
Right now I have 25lbs of Nature's Ocean Bio-Activ Live Aragonite Reef Sand
0.5 - 1.7 mm Diameter Grain Size

50lbs of Southdown sand.

I was wondering if this sand is ok or what sand you suggest?

Nature's Ocean Marine White Sand Premium Marine Substrate
0.1 To 0.5 mm

I have a 55gal and I need to add I beleive like 30lbs more.. I was told to add this slowly to my tank like a inch or so a day..

both of those sands will work, did you just set your tank if so i would put all the sand in that you would like so you have about a 3 inch sand bed and then and your liverock to start your cycle.

My tank has been runniong for 3 months, I was told to add sand a little at a time. Im going for a 4 inch sand bed right now I have like 2 1/2. The sand Nature's Ocean Marine White Sand Premium Marine Substrate
is this live or dead sand/?

im not sure on that brand but if you get some regular play sand and put it in there it will become live in time and if you go that way its alot cheaper. but if you buy that it should say on the bag. but if said bio active live sand i'm sure its live

Keep in mind that a true DSB is over 6in. This will give the bacteria the anaerobic environment it needs to grow. For myself, I use a 3ish inch sand bed with lost of LR for my main filtration. A more shallow sand bed will certainly help with the accumulation of NO3, but will not be as effective in breaking down of NO3. DSB also come with a warning...they can trap toxic gas pockets that, when released, will foul water.

I was told between 4-6 inches, nassarius snails, cucumbers and brittle stars help so that the sand dont get gas pockets correct?

Any sand-sifting creatures will help in stirring up the sand. in doing so they will disturb the anaerobic environment that makes true DSB work. I, for one, like the sifting.

Dr. Ron suggested Brittle Stars, nassarius snails, cucumbers and detrivore Kits. He wrote a good article about DSB which I read..

Back
Top Bottom