Dwarf African Frogs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
G

Quick Question on Dwarf African frogs:

I just wanted to make sure they will fit in fine with my community tank (see signature). I just bought 6 so I sure hope they will. Also, is sinking pleco food ok for them?

they should do fine... mine have done fine since I moved them in with my cichlids... sadly their original home sprung a leak.

if by sinking pleco food you mean algae wafers... then it should be fine. mine seem to love those things, but the thing they love most is frozen blood worms.

Cool. I am thinking of running two Ehiem autofeeders, one with the new TetraMin Tropical Crisps for the schooling fish and the other with TetraMin Variety Wafers for the frogs and plecos.

Frozen (NOT freeze-dried) and live foods are the best for them. Just algae wafers is not enough, at least IMO. They also will eat shrimp pellets.

RoK said:
Frozen (NOT freeze-dried) and live foods are the best for them. Just algae wafers is not enough, at least IMO. They also will eat shrimp pellets.

I have a ton of frozen bloodworms and shrimp, but I usually give it as a treat, not as the staple food. If they are eating the pellets, why are they a problem?

I have never tried keeping one. Does any one have a pic to post :lol:

Tony Starks said:
RoK said:

I have a ton of frozen bloodworms and shrimp, but I usually give it as a treat, not as the staple food. If they are eating the pellets, why are they a problem?

I wasn't saying it was a problem, just that it shouldn't be the only thing they get. Plus, they are more carnivore than omnivore.
Here's some info on them: http://davidcecere.pipidae.org/Page2.htm#care

brackish ?

i dunno, mine have tolerated various levels of salt... as sadly anytime I've needed to treat a fish they end up in that tank withsih the frogs (well didat..)

as for the food, they do eat shrimp pellets, algae wafers, blood worms, flakes, etc...

i have about 8 of them in my cichlid tank, as i've said, they seem to be doing fine, they really love the crab cuisine i feed my crabs and snails.

Frogs have sensitive skin so I dont think they would do well in a salty enviroment at all. As for food, ads are practically blind and hunt by sent. Although they will forage for food, in a community tank it is not likely they will get much to eat since the other fish are much quicker than them. If you dont want them to starve hand feed them thawed frozen blood worms every day (or every other day when they are older) with an eye dropper. In a species tank it is fine to just drop in food with no worries but with a community tank it is important you make sure they all get their fare share.

Just a quick update, the frogs are doing great so far. Very interesting to watch, always swimming around and going to the surface for air. I lowered my water level about an inch just to make sure they don't climb out, but they don't look like they would anyway. So far they have eaten both the frozen bloodworms I dropped in as well as the sinking shrimp wafers I put in. Its hard to count all 6 at the same time in a 55g tank, but I finally just did it, so I know I have no casulties. BTW, my tank is not brackish.

I'm gonna go to petco now and buy some. lol
I'm excited i found two FREE 55 Gallon tanks in my area off of craigslist. im waiting for the people to reply to my email. I'll have two new tanks FREE!!
lol

HAHA, You're STILL online Tony? I thought bedtime was an hour ago. :D Then again, I am still online too.

Think about it this way. If she kills you, you can be buried in the 150. :D

Can and/or will these guys climb or jump out of the tank? I have the water level pretty close to the top of the tank.

I haven't kept any frogs before and I know some of these ADF have claws. Are they easily distinquished from the non-clawed variant?

Back
Top Bottom