Dwarf Auratus --Attempted Suicide--

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kholton

Aquarium Advice Regular
So, I learned something today... I learned why those little slotted covers for your filter intake are so important...

I have a 25g tank with Malawi Cichlids, and a 10g sump system set up, and today, I redid the way that the pumps were set up, so that the maximum amount of filtration would be possible. But in doing so, I left the main intake hose for the sump in the tank, with no cover on it.

The hosing is about a half inch in diameter (on the inside), and this feeds into a valve which I can turn to adjust flow... At that point the hose diameter is narrowed down to about a quarter inch in diameter or less.

After going out to grab some dinner, I returned to hear my roommate yelling, "Are you sure that you're fish are F***ING retarded? Because I'm not!" and to the sound of water hitting the floor. He had been sitting on his bed reading when the tank started overflowing, and he jumped up, turned off the pumps, and started trying to figure out what had happened RIGHT as I walked in the room. And there, stuck the intake hose, was my Dwarf Auratus. I immediately unscrewed the valve from the hose, stuck it into the tank, and gently blew until the fish poped out of the hose. I realized almost immediately that I should have stuck him in the quarantine tank, (a part of my sump I have set up that can be disconnected from the rest of the system if need be) but foresight is always 20/20 right?

Anyway, getting him out of the main tank is no longer an option. (too many rocks and such) But I was wondering if anyone had any advise for what I can do for him. I already put a little salt in the tank, but other than that I have no other medications on hand...

Full diagnosis
-severe physical trauma on the top of the head, just before the start of the dorsal fin, likely caused by the sudden narrowing of the hose
-visibly inflamed "face" with a dark red tinge
-slightly protruding right eyeball, the entire socket seems "raised"
-activity level returned to normal within 20 minutes of being returned to the tank, but due to the aggressive nature of the tank, I'm going to keep the lights out for at least the next day.

Any comments, suggestions, or concerns are greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

~Kaden

Well, I was kinda hoping for some sort of response... But no big deal. I'm just going to give any of you reading a quick update.

The Dwarf Auratus is no longer showing any signs of distress, and although the gash on it's head is still very visible it seems to be healing a little... Also, the right eye has regained a normal size, and I'm glad to say I no longer fear that she might lose it! The red/inflamed look of her "face" however is still very easily seen, but I feel safe to say that my face would probably look no better if I had stuck a jumbo-sized shop-vac on my face for about 5 minutes either!

So, long story short, I think we're looking at a full recovery!

Still however, if anyone has anything to say on the matter, or anything I can do to help the poor little thing please let me know.

Thanks,

~Kaden

I haven't kept these fish, so I wouldn't normally try to advise. But make sure the other fish are well fed. An injured fish can often be a target for scavenging (even when it's alive).

Best thing you can do is keep the water good. I just lost a fish to a fight and the other one (the killer) is still recovering from injuries. It takes a while.

Thanks... I kinda figured that would be the case, and since Malawi Cichlids are less aggressive when it's dark, I've left the lights off for today too... I'll try to make sure I feed them a little more than usual until she heals.

Thanks,

~Kaden

That's a double edged sword though. Feeding more can decrease water condition which it'll need to heal, so although you need to keep them well fed, you also need to clean up what they don't eat better than you may have before.

Just wanted to make sure I added that. :)

Thanks,

Tim

I used to keep africans growing up so ill see what I can do. The popped eye or pop eye as its called is usually caused by severe stress and should receed on its own. As far as the trama is concered there is nothing really med wise u can give to help heal something that tramatic atleast to my knowledge. U did the right thing in adding some salt...great stress reducer. Imo I would keep a close eye on the guy and make sure your keeping a eye on your trites and his health. Being as stressed as he is/was he is a lot more prone to illness. Hope this helps

Yeah... She's acting perfectly normal now, as if nothing happened. haha. But there is still a nice gash in her "forehead" but it's healing up nicely. As I said, the eye has gone back to it's normal size, and as of this morning I didn't notice the redness as much as before. I have liquid test kits that I can easily use to test the water every day, so I've kept tabs on ammonia/nitrite/nitrate pretty frequently. I have some MAJOR filtration in there, so I'm not too concerned there... Thanks : ) I'm glad that she's recovered so well. (I was very worried)

Thanks,

~Kaden

Back
Top Bottom