Dwarf Freshwater puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

That Fish kid

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi was thinking about starting afreshwater dwarf puffer tank.just wanted any tips about this fish,i.e min tank size,tankmates, water parameters, and overall care,oh and plants.

That Fish kid said:
Hi was thinking about starting afreshwater dwarf puffer tank.just wanted any tips about this fish,i.e min tank size,tankmates, water parameters, and overall care,oh and plants.

5 gallons per fish (so 1 puffer = 5 gallons, 2 puffers = 10 gallon, so on and so on) and be sure to have lots of decor because of aggression if you keep more than one. Tank mates may be otocinclus or even something that can hold it's own but no bettas or long finned tetras. Dwarf puffers are fin nippers. 72-82 F, KH 5-15, pH 7.0-8.0. Provide balance diet flake, blood worms, shrimp, and snails for their teeth. As far as plants go I would try with some cheap ones and see how that goes. I hope this helps!

And if you have anymore questions just message me. I should reply within 24 hrs.

I've heard different things. 3 gallons per puffer, 5 gallons per puffer, or no more than one male puffer. I have a single dwarf puffer and I've been debating on whether to get another one for my 10 gallon. I'm not really confidant enough to accurately sex them though.

Heres what im thinking.
10gal (for now)
2dwarf puffers
1 oto?
Java fern and moss
Anything else?

@laser
What other tankmates do you have or is your puffer alone?
Any plants?

Its 5g per dp, regardless if you have plants or not. Long-term success and growth of a tiny puffer will depend on meeting tank min req and doing weekly 50% water changes (very easy and does mot take long).

Also make sure otos are added after your tank is setup for a few months. Otos are nearly starved to death by the time they reach the lfs. Many people will suggest a group of them in a 20+ gallon tank since they are a shaoling fish.

I have about 5 otos in my 20 gallon and thought maybe i could put one in a puffer tank. Otherwise are there any other bottom dwelling tankmates that would work?

It might take DPs a while to figure out adult dwarf shrimps are yummy. My DP never ate the dozens of adult red cherry shrimp in her tank. She usually went after the microscopic shrimps. Lucky me.

Try a ghost shrimp to test the water.

Sounds good to me thx. I just love these little fish. Full of personality.

Back
Top Bottom