Dwarf Gourmamies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

LEBEANPOLE

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently had a ick disaster. After a couple of months off and plenty of cycling I'm repopulating. I have two albino African cory cats, two green tiger barbs, two yellow glo tiger barbs, a clown pleco, and lastly two Dwarf Gouramies. The gouramies are my first. Anyone have any stories or advice about any of the community? I'll post some pics tomorrow.

36gal tall round front
led lights
planted/fake plants
:fish1:

I think they are. Both iridescent blue. I read online that they should be ok if the came from the same tank to start . Is that not the case? Will i have as they grow?

So far they seem fine, but i guess I could sell one back to the AS. take a look. both males? Also how would they react to Beta in the same aquarium? I was hoping to get some.
Thanks,
Randy
P.S. i think I added two pics via the manage attachments section.

Gourami always form a pecking order, the dominant fish will always spend most of his time higher in the water, they may squabble for dominance but nothing to serious

seems to be. 1 does swim around a great deal more. The other hides pretty much. What about the beta question? I also put pictures of the tank on my photos.

So far they seem fine, but i guess I could sell one back to the AS. take a look. both males? Also how would they react to Beta in the same aquarium? I was hoping to get some.
Thanks,
Randy
P.S. i think I added two pics via the manage attachments section.

Gourami and Betta's are both labyrinth fish. In most cases, they will fight and one would most likely die (in your case, the betta would most likely be killed). I wouldn't recommend it.

i have a betta and dwarf gourami in my 60 and its fine. My betta is also a very shy and calm fish. The betta is actually the only fish the gourami doesnt chase really.

I agree, I think a betta would do fine with you DG. I had my betta with a DG in the past, got a blue gourami and got rid of the dwarf and the betta was still peaceful with it

It is generally highly recommended to not put gouramis together with bettas. Of course this completely depends on the individual temperaments of the fish but more often than not it will end badly. If you really want to try it then I would be prepared with a backup plan in case it doesn't work. Even if they like each other at first their temperament could quickly change down the line as the fish get older.

It is generally highly recommended to not put gouramis together with bettas. Of course this completely depends on the individual temperaments of the fish but more often than not it will end badly. If you really want to try it then I would be prepared with a backup plan in case it doesn't work. Even if they like each other at first their temperament could quickly change down the line as the fish get older.
+1 defs agree

Gouramis are sometimes fine together when juveniles but then they begin to approach sexual maturity and the fighting begins. With that said I would also not house any of the smaller varieties of gourami with tiger barbs.

That is good to know. I think i will wait for another tank to do the beta,and keep an eye out for the tiger barbs and DG's. Thank you all for the help. Does anyone have a clown pleco? I usually have had rhinos, BUT i thought i would try him instead. Any advise there?

Back
Top Bottom