Dwarf pea puffers!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

E_Edwards11

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am so interested in these cute little fish! I just have a handful of questions!

1. I have a 10gal tank and their full adult size is approx. 3/4"-1" - How many can I have in there before it gets too crowded for them? I've read a lot of differing opinions about how many should be kept together, but one of the only places I've found that sells them is on the internet, and they will only sell a minimum of 6 (Dwarf Pea Puffer).
2. Again, within the confusing information I've read, they can be aggressive and they can be peaceful - What are the best tank mates? I've been looking at an otocinculus as well as glass shrimp, however, I won't be able to get either or if I have to keep the puffers in a large group.
3. Do I need to have live plants in my tank, or will they thrive just fine with artificial plants?
4. The tank is currently freshwater, and I've read that the puffers are suited for fresh as well as brackish. Which is preferred to keep them the heathiest?

Thanks!

Elyse

2 would be a maximum for a 10 gallon, the recommend ratio is 5g per fish - and this is long proven, better to get male female also. If you are going for more 2 females to 1 male, personally i wouldn't chance it. The tank is best to have lots of cover if possible, like plants - fake or real, bogwood. They prefer a not to bright set up and are extremely messy for there size so a good filter is priority and don't handle poor water quality as well so I also recommend weekly 50% water changes using a good product like seachem prime. Tank mates are hit and miss, Dwarf Puffers can be aggressive little critters. I wouldn't add Oto's until the tank has been running for a while, they eat constantly and need a good algae supply, plus you will probably have to feed with algae wafers, veg etc - though this adds more waste to the tank which you don't need. Shrimp - some will love these as a tasty treat, some won't even bother them. 100% freshwater is all you need!

I know it sounds crazy 5g for 1 tiny fish - some have done more, but I've yet to meet a person who has kept more than the recommended successfully long term.

Last edited:
Freshwater is best for dwarf puffers. I would say hardy plants like anubias and java moss will be good for your tank. Try put a couple glass shrimp in with your puffers first. If they don't attack you can add cherry shrimp as a replacement for the glass shrimp.

Back
Top Bottom