Dwarf Puffer Profile

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The DPs dont care about substate. For you, sand would be easier to clean. ;-)

sand or rounded gravel- when puffers spazz out they really spazz out, plus if he's a good little puff puff he'll file down his beak and teeth on your substrate or rock. I have NEVER heard of a completely successful return to fresh water for puffers, once they have salt they seem to be VERY VERY sulky and black without a small bit of FRESHWATER aquarium salts, at least every few weeks.... But then again, I'm not all that familiar with dwarf fw puffers.

They are strong swimmers, but not with a big belly. A balanced tank would have a strong flow in some parts of the tank for exercise and slower flow for resting/sleep.

That is welcome news considering my friend is thinking about housing some in his tank sometime in the future and now that I've been reading up on things so am I, he has a strong flow side and a relaxed side on his 36 gallon bow front so I think it should be fine now that I know they can swim! :)

Yes. They can hold their own once they age a little. I've had 1 in a 10 gallon and she likes to swim IN the current sometimes, then takes a break... exercise for little girls!! Gotta keep that figure ya know

I was considering a gourami tank but would like to know if these guys could go with a few gourami 30 gallons by the way

Yikes- unless you're talking dwarf puffs or a very large hybrid biotope gourami and puffys don't really make good tank mates. Puffers, especially freshwater/ brackish puffers are so notoriously evil to tank mates that they are almost always solitary species only tanks. Gourami do well with raspbora, danio and a handful of Cory, oto and inverts.

To the original post, I'm 99% sure their teeth do not over grow, unlike all other puffers. You'll notice they tend to suck snails out of shells rather than crunch the shells

Hello.
If you skim through this thread, I found out the same thing with my DP. Many other hobbyist find that DPs do not get overgrown teeth.

My pea puffer lives with a betta fish and has no filtration at all lol. I only feed him snail and he eats the Bettas tail too:).

My puffer and his tank

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20130807_140722.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130807_140722.jpg
    66 KB · Views: 155
  • ForumRunner_20130807_140745.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130807_140745.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 168
  • ForumRunner_20130807_140817.jpg
    ForumRunner_20130807_140817.jpg
    65.3 KB · Views: 156
PS. Sorry to hear about sir puffinton :(

I'm, pathetically, just now restarting populating his, now fixed bc29.... With native saltwater species, lol, so I don't need to worry all that much about heating or cooling- my 'chiller' motor malfunctioned and cooked my blenblen and puffinton :( I've maintained the tank, have made all repairs and have had actually started watching things grow and show up again- really creepy, but so absolutely fascinating at the same time.
specs are perfect, have been for months now, lol... I'm just scared of having it happen again... The time has been used to raise from fry/ baby to in the middle of 'final rehoming' of my NW cichlid, Southeast Asian blackwater biotopes. As I'm finalizing things and watching the nature of my almost adult fish and finalizing my lists I've realized I have a spare 50g and 55g :) I'm thinking one may go to dwarf puffs, considering they are set up for Amazon already, easy enough to go Southeast Asian...

Can't resist the puffers!!!

I know I'm kinda late to this topic, but I was wondering, has anyone else noticed that their DP had a personality? Mine hates me... Every time I walk In the room he lays on the bottom and acts like he's dead. But when everyone else goes near him he swims around and plays. Is he afraid of me or something?

I know I'm kinda late to this topic, but I was wondering, has anyone else noticed that their DP had a personality? Mine hates me... Every time I walk In the room he lays on the bottom and acts like he's dead. But when everyone else goes near him he swims around and plays. Is he afraid of me or something?

Lol- all puffs are personality packed. Sounds like yours is sulking. Maybe he needs some entertainment. They thrive in heavy planted tanks, maybe add some easy to keep mosses and floating plants for him to play peekaboo in and maybe varying his diet and adding the approach of hand feeding live tricks

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I've been feeding him snails and he only does it to me. When my mom, dad, sister, brother, and my boyfriend are in the room with him he wants to play. But with me he hides. He is about to be moved from a 5 gal to a heavy planted 10 gallon. He also has a shrimp he chases around in his 5. I think he just hates me

Back
Top Bottom