Dwarf puffer question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DepotFish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What is it with dwarf puffers lately? They are the pet of the month at walmart and the sign says they need five gallons. A lot of people, from what I hear, keep them in small tanks as you would a betta. I was under the impression that even though they only get an inch or two they needed a 30 gallon tank ideally. I don't think I'd ever get one for less than a 10 gallon tank. Sorry but I don't know much about their bioload or what environment they prefer, but isn't 5 gallons a little small?

The minimum gallons per dwarf puffer is 5. But, when kept alone, they sometimes refuse to eat. I would say the minimum tank size is a 10g. Three dwarf puffers (1m/2f) could live in a 10g planted tank. The heavier the planting the better. Heavier planting is best because it breaks up the sight lines between the fish, reducing the aggression. They are best kept in a species tank. Sometimes ottos can be housed with them, but it all depends on the DPs. They are small little guys, but aggressive. They will nip anything with fins, so they don't belong in a community tank.

Check out the website listed above, it has good info.

I've got three in my 92G planted community and they are as peaceful as my neons. They are great fish and I can't understand the tendencies to call them aggressive.

Maybe I'm just lucky...........but all that aside.......I wouldn't keepthem in anything less than a 10G.

Glitch I think you are lucky! And your tank is pretty heavily planted...I think that probably helps too.

I've heard of a few people that keep them in community tanks...usually they are very large though...like 55g and above. I've never kept them myself, but did alot of research on them before because I had planned to setup a DP tank...but never got around to it.

Some people have had them tear up any fish that goes in with them....while others like you have some peaceful puffers. I guess you never know until you get them and try something.

My dwarf puffer's generally really nice except when kept with my bettas, he'll get lazy and will rather go after my bettas fins than his snails. He was in my 20 gal now he's in my 10 and he's a great little fish ^^ only has issues with bettas...probably thinks their tails are worms.

Back
Top Bottom