Dwarf puffer tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mcor

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I'm itching for a new tank and I want to set up a dwarf puffer tank. I would very much like your help to figure out the best size tank (money is limited so can't afford a huge beast of a tank), how best to stock it, what to use for substrate, what to plant (or not as the case may be)... And anything else you may think of that I might need to know.
Huge thanks in advance!

DPs are indeed freshwater.

You could do a 5 gallon with one or a 10 gallon with 2, both would be pretty cheap. If you want a lowtech (cheap) planted tank you could do PFS or gravel with easy plants like java fern, anubias, and some types of crypts (provided you get some root tabs). I'd get some driftwood for the anubias and java fern to be tied to. Remember that DPs like a lot of places to explore and if you have more than one they each need their little territories. They are also pretty messy eaters so I'd go with something like a AquaClear20 for the 5 gal and a AquaClear30 for the 10 gal. In terms of food you'll need either live foods or frozen (such as bloodworms) with a supplement of a couple of snails a week.

Thank you so much for your info, thats a great help. I actually have a tank set up right now that i think will be perfect for them. Only snag is that i need to find a new home for the occupants. Maybe i should buy a new tank for them and use this one for the puffers.

I just love watching the videos on YouTube of these little guys. Love the way they swim, the way they move their eyes, the way they playfully eye up the snails and slurp them up in the blink of an eye.

I've read conflicting information regarding teeth. Some say they have the teeth or beak that continually grow, some say they don't. I have a limitless supply of snails in my big tank so there shouldn't be an issue but I've read that you need to clip it if they don't get enough snails to wear it down on. Other say its not an issue as they don't have it. Could someone clear this up for me?

I believe DPs are one of the few (or only?) puffers that do not need their beaks trimmed (assuming they're at least getting some snails). I do not speak 100% on that though as I am by no means an expert on them. I haven't been there in a while but I would highly recommend checking out the forums on dwarfpuffers.com, as there are a lot of very experienced DP owners there too. Should be a good complementary resource. :)

Dwarf puffers are not "true puffers" they do not have a beak, teeth, or any real need for the snails. They are a good source of protein, but so are bloodworms, BBS, and other options. Good luck with your new tank. Dp's are a lot of fun. If you get more than one be sure to give them lots of sight breaks.

Thank you. It's difficult when you read totally contradictory information. Someone is evidently right, the other catastrophically wrong. Thanks for clearing that up for me. I think I'll only be having the one. The tank I'm thinking of is about 7-8 gallons. I wish we had the dollar per gallon deal people get in the US. Nothing like that here in uk. I'm thinking we are charged extortionate prices for fish tanks. It sucks.

Alright now you have my mind thinking. I have my 10 gallon which houses my male betta. I know that he'd have to be re homed if I could track down a dp or 2.

Alright now you have my mind thinking. I have my 10 gallon which houses my male betta. I know that he'd have to be re homed if I could track down a dp or 2.

That's my dilemma too. I need to rehome some fish. I can't afford a new tank right now. I know what I'm asking for for my birthday. Ha ha!

My current fish need an upgrade so I'm hoping to get them into something bigger so I can set up my dwarf puffer tank in their current home.

My current fish need an upgrade so I'm hoping to get them into something bigger so I can set up my dwarf puffer tank in their current home.

i have dwarf puffers with my other fish in a 29gal planted tank. the things to watch out for before getting.the puffers: a well cycled tank and a stable supply of food, ie snails bloodworms, daphnia, blackworms, etc. I've alwats love the way they hunt for snails

Another thing you will notice, is they actually suck the snail out of the shell, they do not crush or eat the shell. More proof they do not need the shells for an imaginary beak that overgrows.
True puffers are dogface,maskface,porcupines, some spotted puffers. I think even MBU are considered true puffers. These are the puffers that require shelled food items to keep the plate in their mouth honed down.

Back
Top Bottom