Dwarf puffers

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Newfishlover

Aquarium Advice Regular
My tank is about cycled and I can get my fish this weekend. I have a 29 gallon biocube. Here's my questions:
1. How many can I get? Also since I just finished my cycle, can I add them all at once?
2. What should I have on hand to feed them?
3. What can go in the tank with them if anything?
4. Is my tank set up good enough?
Any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Attachments

• image-1340220851.jpg
    image-1340220851.jpg
    47.3 KB · Views: 65
You want to add fish slowly to a newly cycled tank in order to give the beneficial bacteria time to play catch-up with the new bioload. Otherwise, you go into a mini cycle.

I don't have puffers (love them) but I believe they eat snails to keep their teeth at a reasonable length.

I've only ever heard of puffers in a species only tank. Did you research this species at all? In my opinion, they are "special needs" fish. I don't think you can just plop them into a tank and treat them like you would a tropical.

http://freshwaterpufferfish.org/types-of-puffers/freshwater-pufferfish-carinotetraodon-travancoricus

http://www.tropicalfishandaquariums.com/Puffers/PeaPuffer.asp

Thanks first off for your help. And yes for the last month I've been researching but I've noticed some posts recently about them and how big of picky eaters they are. And i just wanted some experience advice. I'm still not 100% sold on these but I love them so they are my first choice at the moment.

I have always loved them and every time we visit the lfs, I stand mesmerized watching them in their tank. But somehow I just can't cross over to a fish with specific needs, in this case diet. Plus, I'm not big on species only tanks. I love a good community tank.

Be sure to post pics if you do get them.

Thanks for replying and if you have any other suggestions for fish let me know cause like I said I still might change my mind. Just wanted something a little different since I already have a semi aggressive community tank.

Your tank would be perfect for a peaceful community, like ember tetras, rummynose tetras, etc.

Ok. Now I'm exploring options. Maybe I shouldn't dive into a picky fish since I'm about to start college. I'm now looking at different ones.

I don't think your tank has enough decor/plants inside of it for 5-6. I would put in 3-4 DPs and see what would happen. DPs mostly hang out in the bottom-mid level of the tank, so maybe you can fit 4 with your biocube's floor plan (or footprint).

DPs are only picky eaters only at the beginning. They need to adapt to eating dead food because they eat live food in the wild. Plus hobbyist tend to cram them inside a tank. If not enough space in tank to established territory, then they are less likely to eat.

All you have to do is add 1 DP at a time. When you first get your DP, treat him/her with internal meds everyday for 1 week. Then try different food until they learn to recognize you are trying to feed them and they learn what is food and what is not food. Once you get your single puff to eat most things, then you can introduce another DP. You do the same thing with the second puffer as you did with the first puffer.

I think the above process will help you train/treat each DP. If one of them won't eat, then put that puff in a bucket (or anything that can hold water, but another empty tank preferable) with decor and airstone. Isolation will give them a more comfortable time eating and living.

After you get over this hump, then it will be easy sailing. Many sources states that DP need hard-shelled food to keep their teeth trimmed. These sources are false. DPs do not get overgrown teeth. Feed them raw shrimp, dead or live worms, and pest snails you find at your LFS.

This was a brief overview. Post if you need more details or if your run into trouble. Good luck.

Back
Top Bottom