Dwarf Sag Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RadMax8

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey guys,

I got a few crowns of dwarf sag a couple months ago. I have it in a low tech 10 gal tank with Eco Complete substrate and CFL lighting. Ferts are limited to Mebbid's root tabs and dosing with glut. The plants are not healthy and not reproducing. I originally got this plant to provide a simple "carpet" for my 10 gal, but they aren't really doing much.

Any pro tips for me? Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Dose ferts..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I dose macro's/micro's/glut! They grew amazingly the first month, but now I don't see any progress. They're just sitting there.

Sent per three-eyed raven..

Brookster,

Do they take most nutrients from the water column or from the substrate? I've begun dosing the water once a week after my dwarf water lettuce sucked all the nutrients out.

Water lettuce will strip the tank of nutrients with the quickness man. Get some ferts in there and it should help for sure. Most all plants will benefit from nutrients in the water column as well as substrate.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Alrighty. I'll be more diligent with my fert schedule.

My dwarf sag has grown out of the tank in a matter of a little over a week. I dose excel daily, flourish 1x/week, then iron and potassium every other day as needed.

I had dwarf sag under a pair of T5 NO bulbs and they barely grew. Switched to a Finnex FugeRay and there was an improvement in growth (was using API Leafzone and Seachem Flourish Comp and AquaFertz root pellets). Added DIY CO2 and growth took off.
I had it form a very dense carpet when I grew it outside. No ferts (it was a small "pond" with a lot of organic waste present) and tons of direct light. It produced arial leaves and tiny, white flowers. It survived the previous winter; hoping it does okay with the recent one.

I had dwarf sag under a pair of T5 NO bulbs and they barely grew. Switched to a Finnex FugeRay and there was an improvement in growth (was using API Leafzone and Seachem Flourish Comp and AquaFertz root pellets). Added DIY CO2 and growth took off.
I had it form a very dense carpet when I grew it outside. No ferts (it was a small "pond" with a lot of organic waste present) and tons of direct light. It produced arial leaves and tiny, white flowers. It survived the previous winter; hoping it does okay with the recent one.

Thanks Awesome. I didnt know dwarf sag did that. I have dwarf sag and I'm looking to carpet it aswell. Ive got the finnex planted plus, and just am getting in API Leafzone, Tabs, Flourish, Excel. If nothing there helps I'm going DIY C02.

thanks for the OP really helped me out.

oh I use root tabs too. I reckon that has a lot to do with it. I also have a finnex planted + clip on :)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Dwarf sag isn't a very good carpet plant, IMO. If it's growing well enough to carpet, it's going to go insane.

cN1BLIh.png

That's all dwarf sag. You can see in the front where it's 'carpet sized', but in the back where it's going ballistic.

Whoa, ballistic is right.

I guess I'm not looking for a carpet as much as I just want some good foreground plants for a little 10 gal, low tech tank. I'd like the growth to be somewhat dense, but I'm not delusional enough to think I'm going to get a lush DHG carpet in this tank. Any suggestions on a plant that might fit the bill?

That tank is only ~30% taller than a 10g, which may make the potential height problem more pronounced, but if you're only looking for something to 'lushen up' part of the tank, it might be a good candidate, although I would probably call it more of a midground plant in tanks that size.

Back
Top Bottom