Dyed parrot fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sarah5775

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know there have probably been threads about dyed fish before, but I thought I'd vent.

I called up a small pet store in my area to see if they would take some of my grown platy fry. I had asked at another small store but they were only willing to take them not give me credit. Well, this guy said he would be happy to take them and give store credit. So I'm thinking, great, but I decided to go check out the place and see what it was like before giving my fish to him. I'm glad I did.

He had a tank of parrot cichlids. They were colored like Easter eggs, pastel blues, pinks, and yellows. Actually, they were awesome looking. Who wouldn't want a tank of fish like that? But something didn't seem right to me, even though I don't know anything about parrot fish. So I went home and looked them up on the net.

Well, needless to say, parrot cichlids aren't those colors, they were dyed. I couldn't believe it. I have never seen dyed fish for sale before. I don't know too much about the dying process, but I know it involves needles and is very cruel and shortens the fish's life span.

Needless to say, this man is not getting my fish or my business. I actually want to call him up and tell him why I decided not to let him have my fry, but I think that might be out of line. I'll try to see if I can find another pet store, or maybe just give the fish to the other one, which at least seems to care about their animals and takes good care of them.

I wouldn't rant the store owner out, but informing him (politely) why you aren't selling him the fish is a good idea. One of two things will happen, he'll stop, or he won't, and he's a jerk.

Though it's worth it, possibly preventing other parrot fish from enduring the same fate.

Tell him about the dying process, that many fish don't make it, and that they never live normal lifespans

One time I saw some Fruitloop Tetras in a store and I just nicely dropped a hint to one of the employers there.

I told him that I refuse to buy any fish which have been dyed and told him about a Website called deathbydyeing.org. He actually seemed interested.

Sadly i think a lot of fish store are in it for the money first and the fish second. There is a huge markup on a lot of fish, and that spells dollars. These dyed ones that most people don't know what they go through to get that way appeal to the general consumer sadly, and for a higher price.

I'm not saying all stores don't care, I know of 1 in my area that does seem to care about the fish as much as lining his pockets, but for that 1 i can name off 20 that don't.

Education of the consumer is key, if the consumer stops buying them and there is no profit in it then they will stop selling them.

-Pleco

I am torn on this subject. To dye a fish is flat out, hands down, wrong in my opinion. There is always in my opinion going to be a market for them as those new to fish keeping purchase them because they are so "pretty" and "neat".

My 8 white skirt tetra were bought dyed. Most of them were the orange left over no one wanted, two yellow and 1 pink. They are all white now like they should be and rather spoiled. Even more beautiful to me now as they are matured in growth and the right color.

My glass tetra are dyed and still have color. I bought 4 and lost 1. They are neon colors. They are spoiled. I am waiting for the day the color is gone and they are allowed to be what they should be.

I gave them a loving home and I didnt buy them for their colors. I bought them knowing the damage was done and they could come "home" to a beautiful tank with a loving mommy to take care of them.

I see it as they had a rough start out in life already. To be dyed is torture and moved here to there. Sitting in a LFS swimming around in a small tank waiting for a home. I will take them. I am educated and take great care in my fish. I am not buying them for their color and being blind to the situation like a lot of people who buy these fish can be. It is cute and they buy a tank and throw them in there and is it the best life? I purchased mine knowing they were going to a wonderful tank. They are so happy.

It is like an animal shelter issue to me. We could all stop taking in dogs from rescue societies all we want but it will not stop the problem. Same with dyed fish. It is wrong and torture but I feel they need someone to love them and show them life is better. It is rewarding for me.

courtnee said:
I am torn on this subject. To dye a fish is flat out, hands down, wrong in my opinion. There is always in my opinion going to be a market for them as those new to fish keeping purchase them because they are so "pretty" and "neat".

My 8 white skirt tetra were bought dyed. Most of them were the orange left over no one wanted, two yellow and 1 pink. They are all white now like they should be and rather spoiled. Even more beautiful to me now as they are matured in growth and the right color.

My glass tetra are dyed and still have color. I bought 4 and lost 1. They are neon colors. They are spoiled. I am waiting for the day the color is gone and they are allowed to be what they should be.

I gave them a loving home and I didnt buy them for their colors. I bought them knowing the damage was done and they could come "home" to a beautiful tank with a loving mommy to take care of them.

I see it as they had a rough start out in life already. To be dyed is torture and moved here to there. Sitting in a LFS swimming around in a small tank waiting for a home. I will take them. I am educated and take great care in my fish. I am not buying them for their color and being blind to the situation like a lot of people who buy these fish can be. It is cute and they buy a tank and throw them in there and is it the best life? I purchased mine knowing they were going to a wonderful tank. They are so happy.

It is like an animal shelter issue to me. We could all stop taking in dogs from rescue societies all we want but it will not stop the problem. Same with dyed fish. It is wrong and torture but I feel they need someone to love them and show them life is better. It is rewarding for me.
I can understand how you feel about the poor fella who has had a rough start in life, but every time you buy them, you are just telling the store that it's OK to keep doing to even more fish.

Sometimes it's best to let the few that are there suffer for the sake of not letting even more suffer, because the more you buy, the more they dye.

People don't realize when they but these poor fish that they don't stay dyed. In a few months they go back to thier light orange colour. I think if more people knew this they would not be able to sell these poor fish for the inflated prices. No buyers, no market. It's a total rip off and a real shame.

I still disagree. I dont think not buying is the answer. They still need a home. You will never get everyone to stop buying dyed fish. There are always those new to fish keeping that will buy them based on the dyed coloring. That is the market and it will always be there. There are even some who understand it and dont care and dont see it as mean.

You can not change these peoples minds. There are fish people who dont care. They like keeping fish but they do not care if they are dyed or see how they do the dying as bad.

The answer is a push from those who understand it and see it as wrong to stop it. I did mention to my LFS how wrong it is. They were honest with me the color does not stay on the fish. I knew it didnt but was happy to see at least they mentioned it. They only sell dyed tetra. I am thankful t hey dont go further like some LFS do.

They are a great store in the sense they have educated me so much, they have great setups for the fish and take great care in them. They dont just sell to sell. The other day they told my sister not to buy a few fish until she gets her ammonia down. They said they would sell but they would rather not.

I bought my clown loaches and they told me they get big. My pictus cats they warned me about them eating other fish. These are things we all hope a LFS will do.

Their down fall is they sell some dyed Tetra. I wont refuse to go back as a customer because of that. The good outweighs the bad for me. I spoke how I didnt like the dyed fish and they knew I was taking them home not because of their color but to allow them a good home after already being treated like garbage.

I myself have had a huge problem in all over the fish trade. How fish are treated from point A to the LFS is pathetic and the lucky ones to survive either get a good owner or MOST end up in the hands of people who do not know what they are doing and they suffer greatly.

I think the entire operation is disgusting and I am just thankful I have a tank of fish that have a wonderful home and their worries are over.

I think fish are the most abused pet on this planet and no one can make me think otherwise. There are a lot of great people out there taking great care of fish, but that is a small % compared to the abuse.

I often think about my pictus cats and the journey they went through to get to their good home. They have to be caught wild as they dont understand how to breed them. The thought of them being scooped up in huge groups in nets or what not, slammed into garbage bags and with no heater or clean water travel the long trip to end up where they do. The many that die that lay among them and the many that die even after they reach their LFS.

What a life, isnt it?

Most fish are treated like crap until you buy them. No one looks at that part of it. Everyone still goes and buys them. Problems run much deeper out there.

I still stand by the fact I got my babies and they are safe at home now.

Back
Top Bottom