dyi co2 is KICKING my ......

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sailordude

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
no leaks, 1cup sugar, water, yeast. cant get Co2 in tank. its a 55g . in sure I missed a step.

Bottles feel solid when lightly squeezed too

Request an opinion in where I am screwing up

VR
Chris ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428189601.334874.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428189620.726854.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1428189647.937102.jpg

Sent from King Neptune's Cell Phone, (Yes, its water proof, he's a baller)

I dont think you have enough of the CO2 producing solution. Thus it's probably not creating enough pressure to overcome the water pressure from the depth of a 55g tank. So, you're gonna either need quite a lot more... or just go pressurized (which would be my vote)

oh snap!, that is it. Its only thing that makes sense. Going to put in a bigger amount. I have a pressurized co2 can, regulator enroute via EBay. Im just doing this as a science l lesson to my son. I want to get it right first before he comes over and does it :)

do you get bubbles when you shake the solution? smallest bottle for solution I have used is 2litre soda bottle

The only bubbles I saw was in the container. there is about an inch of water in the hose that runs from the airstone

oh snap!, that is it. Its only thing that makes sense. Going to put in a bigger amount. I have a pressurized co2 can, regulator enroute via EBay. Im just doing this as a science l lesson to my son. I want to get it right first before he comes over and does it :)

lol. But yeah, using a couple 2 liters should work. I think I used about 2 cups of sugar in each that i first dissolved in really warm water (dont remember exactly how much water though), then 1/2 tsp of yeast (once the water cooled a bit) and 1 tsp of baking soda in my 2 liters, before going pressurized.

... or you can "cheat" and move the airstone up :)

cheat? Its being resourceful. McGruber....I mean Mcgyver would be so proud of me.

can I attach an airpump to it? Im un sure how that works.
I have an extra timer that can turn off the co2 when my the lights go out.
Btw - dont judge my intelligence based of typing on an iphone ��

Im using the same gatoraid bottles.
1 cup sugar with 1/4 teaspoon yeast
Mix well in water between 100 110 deg. Shake well.
fill to just where the bottle tapers.
I get about 3bps out of mine no problem.
takes about 1/2 hour for the action to start after mixing.

oh cool, for some reason, the recipe i was referring to said 1cup water 1/8th tsp hot water over 104 degrees, 1/8th yeast

cheat? Its being resourceful. McGruber....I mean Mcgyver would be so proud of me.

can I attach an airpump to it? Im un sure how that works.
I have an extra timer that can turn off the co2 when my the lights go out.
Btw - dont judge my intelligence based of typing on an iphone ��

well, it would definitely create bubbles and look fancy... but pretty sure there would be very little CO2 involved with it. So for a quick, short term science project it would work... i'd prolly give you a C+ !

oh cool, for some reason, the recipe i was referring to said 1cup water 1/8th tsp hot water over 104 degrees, 1/8th yeast

Depends on how long you want it to last verses how strong it will be. That combo has been working best for me. I recharge weekly on both bottles. Here is a picture of mine.
img_3198125_0_4e7e71faa27d37d68620d1fabffb532b.jpg

and a quick video of the out put.

One word.......Merica ���� C+ got me through college . How do I "shut it off" at night?

One word.......Merica ���� C+ got me through college . How do I "shut it off" at night?

You don't. It wont put out enough to hurt anything. I'm running this 24/7 in a planted 20 with neon's and pair of rams.

Also the 2 tubings from the 2 reactor bottles should extend into the water in the bubble counter or purification bottle. But the out put tubing to the tank not in the water. Hope that makes sense. You also need a check valve at least between the air stone and the bottle or it can create a syphon and drain the tank if the co2 stops producing.

i got the check valve in place . so the 2 bottles with mixture - the houses extend into the water. the output onlu goes about an inch. i dont have a bubble counter.

Your bottle with the 3 tubing's - The 2 from the mixture bottles go into the water. The one going to the tank should be just through the top so only gas goes in to it. This acts as a bubble counter and makes sure no liquid from the other 2 bottles gets into the tank.

Back
Top Bottom