Dying --- tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Saphira

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hai everybody and thank you for viewing this thread!

Ill keep it short because this is a matter of life or death! x-x

I had 6 Neon Tetras at the start and now only 3 are left! The temperatures fine, the light is on as long as recommended (have timer now) and I am giving them appropriate food. I have a Filter, it even makes bubbles. They dont look sick at all. Its like, they just vanish. The day before, there were 4, the next, 3. No carcasses are floating. Mommy said she fished one out, a dead one was on the sand, unmoving.

What should I do? I cant bring them back to the pet shop, they might give it to the other fish. Will this be dangerous for my Ottocinclus? Is he going to die?

We'd need to know the answers to these questions:
Ammonia?
Nitrite?
Nitrate?
Did you cycle the tank?
What size tank is it? What are the other inhabitants?

Agree with Katie. Is this a new tank? If it's a new tank and you added the fish without properly cycling the tank first (not just letting it run like the pet stores tell you, unfortunately) you could be dealing with toxins in the water that are killing the fish. First thing I'd do is a 70% water change with dechlorinator (whatever you have on-hand right now is fine but if you can get Prime in the near future it's one of the best to use). Then look at these links in my signature: 'new tank with fsih' and 'what is cycling.'

If the tank is cycling you're going to need to test the water daily and any time ammonia and/or nitrite are over .25 on the test kit do a water change to get them down. This can take several weeks. The link in my signature will explain it more.

Also what size tank is it and what other fish are in there if any?

I'd also get a good liquid test kit if you don't already have one. If you have a test kit and can post ammonia, etc levels as Katie suggested it will help us either pinpoint the tank not being cycled as the problem or eliminate it.

Thanks

Agree with Katie. Is this a new tank? If it's a new tank and you added the fish without properly cycling the tank first (not just letting it run like the pet stores tell you, unfortunately) you could be dealing with toxins in the water that are killing the fish. First thing I'd do is a 70% water change with dechlorinator (whatever you have on-hand right now is fine but if you can get Prime in the near future it's one of the best to use). Then look at these links in my signature: 'new tank with fsih' and 'what is cycling.'

If the tank is cycling you're going to need to test the water daily and any time ammonia and/or nitrite are over .25 on the test kit do a water change to get them down. This can take several weeks. The link in my signature will explain it more.

Also what size tank is it and what other fish are in there if any?

I'd also get a good liquid test kit if you don't already have one. If you have a test kit and can post ammonia, etc levels as Katie suggested it will help us either pinpoint the tank not being cycled as the problem or eliminate it.

Its always cycled + I had other fishies in the tank before I put them in. I dont take the ph...):

That's not a very informative response... A tank is never "always cycled". How did you cycle it? You didn't just add a bunch of chemicals and then add fish two days later, did you? Cycling is a natural process that normally takes weeks to grow bacteria.

Again. What are your exact water parameters? What size tank is it?

Back
Top Bottom