Dying Xenia

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SnowZz

Aquarium Advice Freak
well my xenia has been slowly dying off, colonies falling off daily. I dont know why and have been trying to research why but everyone has the same problem and no real solutions. I have it high with moderate flow. Its a pulsing xenia. everything else in my tank is doing great, i dont want to lose it. Any ideas, Someone posted earlier on another form saying theve been known to die for no reason. Then i was told it was a great beginner coral.

Zenia`s are one of those that I have not really been able to understand. I`ve heard others say that they appreciate not so clean water conditions. When I say that I mean higher excessive nutrients.

Mine once withered away and turned white. They turned to powder when touched and just disspeared. A week later they were back and CRAZY! They grew all over the dang place and were making new polyps every single day!

Now I am at war with them. I pulled them out and they release toxins into the water. I run carbon, then pull some more. I hate xenias! Ugly brown color and really REALLY long!

I dont know why people like them so much. Maybe in a large tank and them kept surrounded by sand, but in a small tank, they can be a bummer.

I wouldnt worry about them! I will bet you they come back and make you hate them!:twisted:

Matt

I have to agree with Mike and Matt. I had Xenias and for about a week, they looked like utter garbage. Pieces falling off.. looking all withered away and such. Another week passed by and out of the blue they looked as healthy as the first day i got them. Full polyp extension(and yeah, they are really long), pulsing, and spreading quickly. I too was seeing a few new polyps every few days. Only, i kept mine isolated on the sand, so they stopped spreading.

LOL i told my wife what you said and she said "maybe his water is do-do" lol lol well maybe mine will come back i hope, thanks for the advice.

That's cute. Unfortunately.. my water was not poop. 0 nitrites, 0 ammonia, 0 phosphates, 5 nitrates. So yeah.. Xenias are retarded.

Xenias like extra poop in the water from what I understand. Mine went nuts when I added some GFO and carbon. (Got the water cleaner quickly and likely made them mad).

Matt

Back
Top Bottom